Wednesday, September 25, 2013
BREWSTER The city has elected not to be part of the mosquito control district being formed in the Omak-Okanogan area.
“Basically, the city of Brewster doesn’t have a mosquito problem,” Clerk/Treasurer Misty Ruiz said. The council made its decision during the Sept. 11 meeting.
“I think I’ve gotten one complaint about mosquitoes in the three years I’ve been here,” she said. “One council member said he felt it was something that could be better resolved by people within the city, rather than doing an application over the entire city.”
Ruiz said Brewster’s mosquito issue is likely different from what Omak and Okanogan experienced earlier this summer because the Columbia River moves more quickly than the Okanogan River.
The Okanogan County Mosquito Control District Advisory Board announced it would begin reaching out to other communities in the county last month, Omak city administrator Ralph Malone said.
Voters would have to create the district with special purpose designation so it can collect a tax from residents to pay for mosquito control.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-043 Jan. 21) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 867 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- Speak up now on mosquito control
- 810 (2016-329 July 20) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 876
- (2014-125 Feb. 26) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 855 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- (2014-008 Jan. 1) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 854 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge