Wednesday, September 25, 2013
BREWSTER The city has elected not to be part of the mosquito control district being formed in the Omak-Okanogan area.
“Basically, the city of Brewster doesn’t have a mosquito problem,” Clerk/Treasurer Misty Ruiz said. The council made its decision during the Sept. 11 meeting.
“I think I’ve gotten one complaint about mosquitoes in the three years I’ve been here,” she said. “One council member said he felt it was something that could be better resolved by people within the city, rather than doing an application over the entire city.”
Ruiz said Brewster’s mosquito issue is likely different from what Omak and Okanogan experienced earlier this summer because the Columbia River moves more quickly than the Okanogan River.
The Okanogan County Mosquito Control District Advisory Board announced it would begin reaching out to other communities in the county last month, Omak city administrator Ralph Malone said.
Voters would have to create the district with special purpose designation so it can collect a tax from residents to pay for mosquito control.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-043 Jan. 21) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 867 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- Speak up now on mosquito control
- (2014-125 Feb. 26) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 855 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- (2014-008 Jan. 1) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 854 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- (2013-635 Nov. 27) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 852 of the City of Brewster, Washington
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge