Saturday, September 21, 2013
OKANOGAN A local man who exchanged gunfire with an Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office sergeant last fall pleaded guilty Aug. 15 in that case and a previous stabbing.
Neal Sylvester Mix, 28, pleaded guilty in Okanogan County Superior Court to first-degree assault, first-degree possession of a firearm, attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, unlawful possession of a short-barrel shotgun or rifle, alteration of identification marks on a weapon and third-degree driving with a suspended or revoked license.
He was sentenced to 240 months in prison. Accompanying weapons enhancements were dismissed.
Mix was charged after the Nov. 10, 2012, incident in which he pulled a gun on Sgt. Tony Hawley. Hawley returned fire and shot Mix.
Hawley was not hurt.
The gunfire came after Hawley attempted to stop Mix for speeding. Mix also was wanted for an Okanogan stabbing a month earlier.
After a brief pursuit on Conconully Street, and Wood Hill and East Dry Coulee roads, Mix’s vehicle skidded off the gravel road, went over an embankment and overturned.
As Hawley approached the vehicle, Mix broke out the driver’s side window, pointed a shotgun and fired a round, Undersheriff Joe Somday said at the time. Hawley returned fire, striking Mix twice, once in the arm and once in the leg, Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.
Gjesdal’s office was called to investigate. Hawley was put on administrative leave, but returned to work in December.
In January, Gjesdal’s office found Hawley was justified in firing back.
Mix also pleaded guilty Aug. 15 to second-degree assault with a deadly weapon in the stabbing case. He was sentenced to 73.5 months, to be served concurrently with the shooting case.
He was charged with stabbing Jeremy Graves, then 33, on Oct. 6, 2012, on Queen Street in downtown Okanogan.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE