Wednesday, September 18, 2013
OKANOGAN - One person was arrested Sept. 17 after allegedly stealing a gun from an off-duty police officer.
Cheyenne R. Lezard, 18, was arrested and taken to the Okanogan County Jail on suspicion of theft of a firearm, second-degree theft and vehicle prowl.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Jerod Gavin was mowing his law on Maple Street about 9:50 a.m. when he saw a man and woman standing beside his personal vehicle. Gavin is an officer with the Omak Police Department.
As they were walking away, Gavin apparently thought something was wrong and went to check the vehicle. He discovered a pistol - not his service weapon - and a credit card were missing, Rogers said.
He got into his vehicle and went to locate the two, and also called the Sheriff's Office.
Gavin located Jesse B. Garcia, 23, Omak, on Queen Street and stopped him. Sheriff's deputies arrived to assist.
"While questioning Garcia, he stated he didn't know anything about the theft, then changed his mind and told deputies it was his girlfriend (who) stole the gun," Rogers said.
Lezard was located at 437 Queen St., along with the firearm, Rogers said. The incident occurred near Okanogan Middle-High School, which was locked down for about 20 minutes.
"The entire incident was actually over in several minutes, with both subjects located and the gun recovered," Rogers said.
Garcia was not arrested.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge