Wednesday, September 18, 2013
OKANOGAN - One person was arrested Sept. 17 after allegedly stealing a gun from an off-duty police officer.
Cheyenne R. Lezard, 18, was arrested and taken to the Okanogan County Jail on suspicion of theft of a firearm, second-degree theft and vehicle prowl.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Jerod Gavin was mowing his law on Maple Street about 9:50 a.m. when he saw a man and woman standing beside his personal vehicle. Gavin is an officer with the Omak Police Department.
As they were walking away, Gavin apparently thought something was wrong and went to check the vehicle. He discovered a pistol - not his service weapon - and a credit card were missing, Rogers said.
He got into his vehicle and went to locate the two, and also called the Sheriff's Office.
Gavin located Jesse B. Garcia, 23, Omak, on Queen Street and stopped him. Sheriff's deputies arrived to assist.
"While questioning Garcia, he stated he didn't know anything about the theft, then changed his mind and told deputies it was his girlfriend (who) stole the gun," Rogers said.
Lezard was located at 437 Queen St., along with the firearm, Rogers said. The incident occurred near Okanogan Middle-High School, which was locked down for about 20 minutes.
"The entire incident was actually over in several minutes, with both subjects located and the gun recovered," Rogers said.
Garcia was not arrested.
More like this story
- Dansel resigns state Senate to join Trump administration
- Weather brings school delays, closures
- McDonald's plans to introduce new ‘Big Mac' sizes
- Forever stamp prices increase Sunday
- More wet weather in the forecast
- Some after school activities, sports cancelled
- Storm prompts clinic cancelations
- Winter storm brings school delays, closures
- 810 (2017-009 Jan. 11, 18) REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) AIRPORT MASTER PLAN
- 810 (2017-012 Jan. 18) Notice of Public Hearing
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge