Wednesday, September 18, 2013
OKANOGAN - One person was arrested Sept. 17 after allegedly stealing a gun from an off-duty police officer.
Cheyenne R. Lezard, 18, was arrested and taken to the Okanogan County Jail on suspicion of theft of a firearm, second-degree theft and vehicle prowl.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Jerod Gavin was mowing his law on Maple Street about 9:50 a.m. when he saw a man and woman standing beside his personal vehicle. Gavin is an officer with the Omak Police Department.
As they were walking away, Gavin apparently thought something was wrong and went to check the vehicle. He discovered a pistol - not his service weapon - and a credit card were missing, Rogers said.
He got into his vehicle and went to locate the two, and also called the Sheriff's Office.
Gavin located Jesse B. Garcia, 23, Omak, on Queen Street and stopped him. Sheriff's deputies arrived to assist.
"While questioning Garcia, he stated he didn't know anything about the theft, then changed his mind and told deputies it was his girlfriend (who) stole the gun," Rogers said.
Lezard was located at 437 Queen St., along with the firearm, Rogers said. The incident occurred near Okanogan Middle-High School, which was locked down for about 20 minutes.
"The entire incident was actually over in several minutes, with both subjects located and the gun recovered," Rogers said.
Garcia was not arrested.
More like this story
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-179 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-180 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-166 April 20, 27) CITY OF OKANOGAN MUNICIPAL SWIMMING POOL
- 800 (2016-167 April 20, 27) CITY OF BREWSTER INVITATION TO BID
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge