Wednesday, September 18, 2013
In our wealthy nation, it’s astounding that nearly 22 percent of children under 18 live in poverty and
more than 16 million children live in households that struggle to put food on the table.
Share Our Strength, www.nokidhungry.org, gives those and other sobering statistics:
• In our country, 9.8 million children get free and reduced-price breakfast, but another 10.6 million eligible kids go without.
• Nearly half of all people who use food stamps are children.
The numbers in Okanogan and Ferry counties are similarly abysmal. Many school districts have free and reduced-price meal populations of 50 percent or more. In some, every child qualifies.
Even the Methow Valley district, which some consider affluent in comparison to others, has a 49 percent rate.
September is “No Kid Hungry” month, and many restaurants — including some local ones — are seeking monetary donations to combat hunger.
That’s one way to help. Another is to donate generously and often to local food banks and food drives.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge