Thursday, September 12, 2013
MAZAMA — State Highway 20 reopened at noon, Sept. 12, once again allowing travel across the North Cascades.
State Department of Transportation crews had to repair pavement and guardrails, as well as draining and clearing ditches along the road. Drivers can expect some occasional short delays the next several days while crews continue working on drainage and the slopes on both sides of the highway, the department said.
During the six-day closure, a crew of 18 workers operated 11 trucks and other heavy machinery during every hour of daylight to clear the mudslides.
The highway had been closed since 2 a.m. Sept. 6 when heavy rainfall caused mudslides to block the road.
It was the second time this summer, rainfall has shut down North Cascades Highway.
Eight mudslides fell after an Aug. 10 storm and stranded about 65 people at the Cascades Pass Trailhead, as well as two vehicles on the highway itself. The highway was closed until Aug. 19 as Department of Transportation crews and private contractors cleared the mud and debris.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge