Originally published September 4, 2013 at 04:47p.m., updated October 2, 2013 at 04:47p.m.
The Colville Confederate Tribes may be giving our economy a much-needed shot in the arm with two projects in planning and permitting stages.
The first is development and the looming construction of a new casino, resort, hotel, RV park and amphitheater in the Omak-Okanogan area.
Planned for 296 acres along U.S. Highway 97, the proposal would help make the Omak area a destination for more than just rodeo. And, a top-notch facility will encourage travelers on the highway to stop and stay a while.
The potential boost for the economy is enormous, with dozens, if not hundreds of jobs that could be created by an upscale resort.
Toss in an amphitheater that brings thousands of visitors to the area for entertainment each year and you have a winning combination for the community and the economy.
Colville Tribal Federal Corp., the tribal enterprise agency, is in the process of getting permits for the project. A land-use review is slated for 9:30 a.m. Thursday in the Colville Tribal Credit conference room, 14 Moses St., Nespelem.
While that project is sure to bring long-lasting jobs to the area, the rebuilding of the tribe’s headquarters and administration center in Nespelem is expected to bring short-term jobs, too.
A land-use and development application is pending for a new center for tribal government, which will replace the previous building that burned to the ground July 29.
Tribal officials hope to fast-track construction of the planned 200,000-260,000-square foot structure just off state Highway 155.
Tribal officials have yet to determine a cost of either of the projects. But regardless of the cost, the jobs they will bring will certainly help get the economy of Okanogan County back on track.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE