Originally published September 4, 2013 at 04:47p.m., updated October 2, 2013 at 04:47p.m.
The Colville Confederate Tribes may be giving our economy a much-needed shot in the arm with two projects in planning and permitting stages.
The first is development and the looming construction of a new casino, resort, hotel, RV park and amphitheater in the Omak-Okanogan area.
Planned for 296 acres along U.S. Highway 97, the proposal would help make the Omak area a destination for more than just rodeo. And, a top-notch facility will encourage travelers on the highway to stop and stay a while.
The potential boost for the economy is enormous, with dozens, if not hundreds of jobs that could be created by an upscale resort.
Toss in an amphitheater that brings thousands of visitors to the area for entertainment each year and you have a winning combination for the community and the economy.
Colville Tribal Federal Corp., the tribal enterprise agency, is in the process of getting permits for the project. A land-use review is slated for 9:30 a.m. Thursday in the Colville Tribal Credit conference room, 14 Moses St., Nespelem.
While that project is sure to bring long-lasting jobs to the area, the rebuilding of the tribe’s headquarters and administration center in Nespelem is expected to bring short-term jobs, too.
A land-use and development application is pending for a new center for tribal government, which will replace the previous building that burned to the ground July 29.
Tribal officials hope to fast-track construction of the planned 200,000-260,000-square foot structure just off state Highway 155.
Tribal officials have yet to determine a cost of either of the projects. But regardless of the cost, the jobs they will bring will certainly help get the economy of Okanogan County back on track.
More like this story
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
- 800 (2016-239 May 25) Notice of Application and Threshold SEPA Determination
- 810 (2016-215 May 18, 25) Public Notice
- 810 (2016-216 May 18, 25) CALL FOR BIDS CITY OF OKANOGAN 5TH AVENUE WATER MAIN
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge