Originally published September 4, 2013 at 04:43p.m., updated October 2, 2013 at 04:43p.m.
CONCONULLY – An Omak woman was killed Sept. 3 when her vehicle plunged off an embankment south of Fish Lake.
Carissa L. Amundson, 22, died at the scene, Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
Deputies were called at 6:30 a.m. to the crash about a mile south of Fish Lake. They believe Amundson, who was thrown from the vehicle, was the driver.
He said Amundson, Garrett Peterson and Sophia J. Best, both 19 and from Omak, apparently were driving around at about 5-5:30 a.m. when their vehicle skidded on the gravel road and went over a 280-foot embankment. The vehicle overturned and Amundson was ejected.
Best hiked out to the Fish Lake Campground and alerted a camper, who called 911, Rogers said. Peterson and Best both were taken to Mid-Valley Hospital, Omak.
Peterson later was transferred to Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee.
Best was listed in satisfactory condition Tuesday morning. Peterson was listed in satisfactory condition.
Rogers said deputies are still investigating the scene and don’t know whether drugs or alcohol were involved.
There were no indications speed was a factor, Rogers said.
Amundson attended Okanogan High School. She was a cheerleader during the 2007-08 school year and also was involved in the 2HOTT cheerleading squad.
School records list her mother as Rebecca Sandu.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge