Originally published September 4, 2013 at 04:42p.m., updated October 2, 2013 at 04:42p.m.
CHESAW – A Western Washington hunter was killed Monday night when he was shot by an unknown gunman.
Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office deputies still were investigating Tuesday morning.
The deceased man’s name has not been released because his next of kin had not been notified, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
He said the man and his hunting partner, who also has not been identified, were hunting grouse on Cow Camp Road on Pontiac Ridge southeast of town about 7:15 p.m. when they stopped and one got out of their vehicle.
The man, in his 60s, took aim at a grouse in a tree and shot twice, his hunting partner told deputies.
The partner heard another shot and then saw blood on the man outside the vehicle, Rogers said.
The partner left the man there and sought help.
He contacted someone at a nearby home and deputies were called. He was not injured, Rogers said.
“At this point, we don’t know the type of gun or anything,” he said. “We had people on it all night.”
Deputies were still on scene Tuesday morning, at Chronicle press time. The investigation is ongoing, so some details are not being released.
Rogers said a suspect has not been identified, “but we don’t believe there is a gunman out there just shooting people.”
The shooting occurred near a residence.
“Deputies have interviewed people in the area, including the two subjects living at the residence,” which was about 100 yards from the scene.
“We do have people of interest and detectives are still on the scene,” he said Tuesday morning. “The Washington State Patrol Crime Lab has also been called to assist in processing the scene.”
The homicide is the fifth in Okanogan County this year.
More like this story
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge