Originally published September 4, 2013 at 04:42p.m., updated October 2, 2013 at 04:42p.m.
CHESAW – A Western Washington hunter was killed Monday night when he was shot by an unknown gunman.
Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office deputies still were investigating Tuesday morning.
The deceased man’s name has not been released because his next of kin had not been notified, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
He said the man and his hunting partner, who also has not been identified, were hunting grouse on Cow Camp Road on Pontiac Ridge southeast of town about 7:15 p.m. when they stopped and one got out of their vehicle.
The man, in his 60s, took aim at a grouse in a tree and shot twice, his hunting partner told deputies.
The partner heard another shot and then saw blood on the man outside the vehicle, Rogers said.
The partner left the man there and sought help.
He contacted someone at a nearby home and deputies were called. He was not injured, Rogers said.
“At this point, we don’t know the type of gun or anything,” he said. “We had people on it all night.”
Deputies were still on scene Tuesday morning, at Chronicle press time. The investigation is ongoing, so some details are not being released.
Rogers said a suspect has not been identified, “but we don’t believe there is a gunman out there just shooting people.”
The shooting occurred near a residence.
“Deputies have interviewed people in the area, including the two subjects living at the residence,” which was about 100 yards from the scene.
“We do have people of interest and detectives are still on the scene,” he said Tuesday morning. “The Washington State Patrol Crime Lab has also been called to assist in processing the scene.”
The homicide is the fifth in Okanogan County this year.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge