Originally published September 4, 2013 at 12:00a.m., updated October 3, 2013 at 09:46a.m.
WINTHROP Levi Brotherton of Omak was the big winner at the 42nd annual Methow Valley Labor Day Weekend Rodeo on Aug. 31 to Sept. 1.
Brotherton collected all of the added $1,500 money in saddle bronc since he was the lone rider with a score. He rode to a 66 on Sunday in the rodeo put on by the Methow Valley Horsemen.
Brotherton also pocketed $200 for day money and another $450 for finishing second on Sunday in ranch saddle bronc riding.
“We sure couldn’t do the rodeo without our sponsors,” secretary and treasurer Leanna Melton said. “Businesses in both towns support the rodeo.”
Riata Marchant of Omak was the big winner in barrel racing, taking first place both days. That got her $400 for the weekend.
Bullriding and ranch saddle bronc riding each had $1,500 jackpots. Barrel racing had a $500 jackpot.
Red Clark and Harold Carter of C&C Rodeo Co. provided stock.
The rodeo proved to be tough on several competitors.
A rider fell during the drill team entertainment Saturday and did not return Sunday, Melton said.
Aaron Hammer of Twisp hurt a wrist in riding, Bubba Braucher hurt a leg in the chutes and Payton Torrez in bulls was hurt after getting hung up in bulls. None of those competitors returned Sunday.
“We had a nice crowd both days,” Melton said.
Aug. 31 results
Ranch saddle bronc: 1-2, tied at 73 between Vade Arnzen, Boardman, Ore., and Austin Rawlins, Bend, Ore. 3, Cole Rawlins, Bend, Ore., 71. 4, Travis Yutzie, Ione, Ore., 71.
Junior bulls: 1, Chase Nigg, Oroville, 76.
Bulls: 1, Cody Guerard, Selah, 68. 2, Dalton Davis, Yakima, 62.
Barrel racing: 1, Riata Marchant, Omak, 18.75 seconds. 2, Tawnee Hillmer, Lynden, 19.94. 3, Lacy Cannon, Deming, 20.0. 4, Katrina Herriman, Omak, 20.0.
Sept. 1 results
Ranch saddle bronc: 1, Austin Rawlins, Bend, Ore., 81. 2, Levi Brotherton, Omak, 76. 3, Steve Gillen, Prineville, Ore., 73. 4, Cole Rawlins, Bend, Ore., 69.
Saddle bronc: 1, Levi Brotherton, 66.
Junior bulls: 1-2, tied at 72, Chase Nigg, Oroville, and Jacob Good, Ferndale.
Bulls: 1, Dalton Davis, Yakima. 80. 2, Chase Nigg, Oroville, 69.
Barrel racing: 1, Riata Marchant, Omak, 18.87. 2, Chris Vick, Bellingham, 19.47. 3, Robbie Carter, Omak, 20.0 4, Katrina Herriman, Omak, 20.13.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge