Tuesday, September 3, 2013
OLYMPIA — The end of summer means fair time, and the state Department of Health is warning fair-goers and livestock exhibitors to stay as germ-free as possible with all the animals around.
“Going to see the animals at the fair is a treasured tradition for many families,” public health veterinarian Ron Wohrle said. “But even healthy animals can spread E. coli and Salmonella bacteria to people, which can make them sick. By following some basic safety tips you can enjoy the animals at the fair and stay healthy.”
Animals can carry bacteria and viruses in their saliva, on their coats, and in areas where their waste has been, according to the Department of Health.
About a half-million people across the United States contract illnesses or diseases from animals at fairs and petting zoos. Most of the time, it happens when people put their hands near their mouth or stick a contaminated object into their mouth or up their nose.
Those who are most at risk include pregnant women, the elderly, children under 5 years old and anyone who is already ill.
The Department of Health recommends washing hands with soap and water after touching animals and before eating or drinking.
“Children under five should be watched at all times while they visit animals to make sure they don’t put their hands or objects, like a pacifier, in their mouth while interacting with animals,” the department cautions. “Stroller wheels can also pick up germs from animal areas and have been tied to illnesses in the past.”
If someone does become sick after being in contact with animals, they’re urged to call their doctor.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON