Originally published October 30, 2013 at 11:42a.m., updated October 30, 2013 at 11:42a.m.
OKANOGAN The Initiative for Rural Innovation and Stewardship plans to showcase a variety of success stories when it teams up with the city of Okanogan, Wenatchee Valley College and others to convene the fifth annual NCW Community Success Summit.
The Nov. 20 program, "Okanogan - Small Town, Strong Community," is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Okanogan Middle School, 244 Fifth Ave. N.
“We’re thrilled to work with the city of Okanogan to host the Summit this year,” event coordinator Nancy Warner said, noting the non-profit organization hosts a summit in a different rural community annually. “Over time, we want to showcase and pass on a collection of success stories that can help the next generation thrive.”
Event planners anticipate more than 150 people to participate this year. The summit also serves as a fundraising event.
Speakers this year will highlight increasing the health and connectivity of our lands and waters; using cross-generational relationships to foster a sense of belonging, learning and jobs; and using art, technology and meeting places to bridge cultures and strengthen communities.
Okanogan Middle School students will be presenting a brief video about the community. They will also participate in the presentations and discussions about successes from the region.
Other elements of the summit will include: updates on successes featured at previous summits, a lunch of locally-produced foods prepared by Slow Food Okanogan; the Success Summit printed supplement; and roundtable discussions where participants will be invited to share their best practices on key needs in rural communities such as recruiting volunteers and nurturing leaders.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge