Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Halloween is upon us and this year, with the event on a Thursday, revelers are stretching the celebration across two weekends.
When I was young, I was a princess in a very scratchy mint green bridesmaid dress my mom got at Goodwill. It was frilly and sparkly, but made of nylon net. I get itchy just thinking about that dress, although I loved it at the time.
As an adult, most of my costumes either don’t happen or turn out pretty lame.
So this year, as I pondered a possible costume for the office, I resorted to a computer search. My son tells me I look like an AT-AT walker from “Star Wars” when I use my crutches, so I thought maybe I could capitalize on that and build a costume.
I Googled for Halloween costumes for the disabled. The search didn’t come up with anything for crutches or a walker, but I did get several suggested costumes for children in wheelchairs.
It was one of those “ah-ha” moments. I’d never really considered how kids who use wheelchairs would dress up for Halloween.
Sure, they can put on a costume and wheel around, but these suggestions were to embrace the chair and decorate it, too.
A bit of cardboard, paint and some imagination can turn a wheelchair into a pirate ship, a train or a covered wagon.
I’m not sure how, or if, I’ll dress up, but I feel better knowing that creative people out in the greater world are finding ways to include all children in the celebration.
Dee Camp is a reporter at The Chronicle. She can be reached via email at email@example.com.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge