Wednesday, October 30, 2013
OMAK The Omak Wood Products mill is back up and running again after a mechanical failure shut down operations temporarily last week.
Omak Wood Products President Richard Yarbrough said a burned-out bearing in the boiler feed water pump shut down the boiler Thursday.
Without a functioning boiler, Yarbrough said mill officials were forced to cease operations and send workers home until repairs could be made.
The damaged boiler coincided with officials from the Colville Confederated Tribes’ Environmental Trust doing a walk-through at the mill, but the shutdown not due to environmental violations, Yarbrough said.
Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Suzanne Skadowski said it’s rare that a business would be shut down due to air quality violations.
Nancy Helm, from the Environmental Protection Agency, said there have been “numerous” air quality complaints filed since the mill restarted operations early in October.
Helm said the agency has been in the process of talking with mill officials to get emissions down to a reasonable level.
She said she hopes “they’ll take this opportunity to address the problem,” after the mill was closed
Yarborough said there has been a lot of smoke coming out of the mill lately, which tends to hover low to the ground, particularly on cold mornings.
“One of the things that I want to do is tell the people in the town, ‘Sorry,’” Yarborough said.
He said the boiler will burn more cleanly once it is brought up to full speed. Emissions are often a challenge with new mills, he said.
More like this story
- 49 state patrol troopers sworn in
- Omak bond measure failing in initial returns
- 810 (2017-105 April 26) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1175
- 810 (2017-106 April 26) Notice of Application
- 820 (2017-092 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-093 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-094 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-097 April 19, 26, May 3) NOTICE TO CREDITORS
- 820 (2017-098 April 19, 26) CALL FOR BIDS.
- 820 (2017-102 April 26) The Town of Riverside is seeking applications for Town Council Position No.1.