Wednesday, October 30, 2013
OMAK The Omak Wood Products mill is back up and running again after a mechanical failure shut down operations temporarily last week.
Omak Wood Products President Richard Yarbrough said a burned-out bearing in the boiler feed water pump shut down the boiler Thursday.
Without a functioning boiler, Yarbrough said mill officials were forced to cease operations and send workers home until repairs could be made.
The damaged boiler coincided with officials from the Colville Confederated Tribes’ Environmental Trust doing a walk-through at the mill, but the shutdown not due to environmental violations, Yarbrough said.
Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Suzanne Skadowski said it’s rare that a business would be shut down due to air quality violations.
Nancy Helm, from the Environmental Protection Agency, said there have been “numerous” air quality complaints filed since the mill restarted operations early in October.
Helm said the agency has been in the process of talking with mill officials to get emissions down to a reasonable level.
She said she hopes “they’ll take this opportunity to address the problem,” after the mill was closed
Yarborough said there has been a lot of smoke coming out of the mill lately, which tends to hover low to the ground, particularly on cold mornings.
“One of the things that I want to do is tell the people in the town, ‘Sorry,’” Yarborough said.
He said the boiler will burn more cleanly once it is brought up to full speed. Emissions are often a challenge with new mills, he said.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge