Wednesday, October 30, 2013
GRAND COULEE A minor ground fault occurred Oct. 23 at Grand Coulee Dam, but there were no injuries or damage to the lines, generator or transformer.
Some minor surface damage occurred to the concrete on the face of the dam at the fault location, officials said.
The incident happened above the left powerhouse as the No. 8 generator penstock was being filled with water after undergoing maintenance, officials said. As the penstock filled, air releasing through the vent valve on the face of the dam forced water out of the vent.
The water stream was close enough to an energized power line to cause a path for electricity to flow from the line to the source of the water at the vent outlet, officials said.
The Bureau of Reclamation is performing technical analysis on the cause of the fault to prevent similar events in the future.
The bureau oversees dam operations.
More like this story
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-015 Jan. 20) As per law, the Okanogan School District