Wednesday, October 30, 2013
GRAND COULEE A minor ground fault occurred Oct. 23 at Grand Coulee Dam, but there were no injuries or damage to the lines, generator or transformer.
Some minor surface damage occurred to the concrete on the face of the dam at the fault location, officials said.
The incident happened above the left powerhouse as the No. 8 generator penstock was being filled with water after undergoing maintenance, officials said. As the penstock filled, air releasing through the vent valve on the face of the dam forced water out of the vent.
The water stream was close enough to an energized power line to cause a path for electricity to flow from the line to the source of the water at the vent outlet, officials said.
The Bureau of Reclamation is performing technical analysis on the cause of the fault to prevent similar events in the future.
The bureau oversees dam operations.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge