Wednesday, October 30, 2013
GRAND COULEE A minor ground fault occurred Oct. 23 at Grand Coulee Dam, but there were no injuries or damage to the lines, generator or transformer.
Some minor surface damage occurred to the concrete on the face of the dam at the fault location, officials said.
The incident happened above the left powerhouse as the No. 8 generator penstock was being filled with water after undergoing maintenance, officials said. As the penstock filled, air releasing through the vent valve on the face of the dam forced water out of the vent.
The water stream was close enough to an energized power line to cause a path for electricity to flow from the line to the source of the water at the vent outlet, officials said.
The Bureau of Reclamation is performing technical analysis on the cause of the fault to prevent similar events in the future.
The bureau oversees dam operations.
More like this story
- PUD to decide yay or nay on Enloe
- County has cash flow problem
- Tonasket wants to annex land south of town
- Drug bust lands eight people in jail
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge