Originally published October 24, 2013 at 05:00p.m., updated October 24, 2013 at 05:28p.m.
OMAK Less than one month after reopening, the Omak Wood Products mill was shut down Thursday due to a damaged bearing on its boiler feed water pump.
Omak Wood Products President Richard Yarbrough said the burned-out bearing was cause to shut down the entire boiler. Without the boiler, mill officials had no choice but to send employees home until the pump can be repaired.
Yarborough said the pump is in the process of being repaired. It is expected to be back up and running “first thing Monday morning,” Yarbrough said.
The motor pump in question had been brand new, he said, noting the damaged boiler coincided with officials from the state Environmental Protection Agency and the Colville Tribes’ Environmental Trust walk-through of the mill. But the shutdown was not due to environmental violations.
Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Suzanne Skadowski confirmed the shutdown was not due to air-quality violations.
Yarbrough said there has been a lot of smoke coming out of the mill lately, which tends to hover low to the ground, particularly on cold mornings.
“One of the things that I want to do is tell the people in the town, ‘sorry,’” Yarbrough said.
He said the boiler will burn more cleanly once it is brought up to full speed.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge