Wednesday, October 23, 2013
REPUBLIC The state Department of Natural Resources has a new method of helping landowners address forest health problems in the areas around Republic, Curlew, Chesaw, Orient, Kettle Falls and Wauconda.
Landowners often are confronted with woodlands in a high-risk condition for insect outbreaks, but find the economics of tree thinning and restoration too costly, the agency said.
Some wait for the timber market to improve, while others might wait until an outbreak happens and try to clean up the dead timber afterward.
The project seeks to help people by using an incentive payment that improves otherwise economically marginal thinning and restoration activities.
In exchange, landowners would agree to conduct the restoration project on their land using a set of “prescriptions” to achieve forest health.
Landowners can get an incentive payment ranging from $100 to $200 per acre.
A written stewardship plan is necessary. Cost-share funding is available to help develop those plans.
Commissioner of Public Lands Peter Goldmark has issued a Forest Health Hazard Warning for the area, citing western spruce budworm and pine bark beetles as the cause of damage.
Participation information is available from Landowner Assistance Manager Steve Harris with the Colville office or Forest Health Specialist Chuck Hersey in Olympia.
More like this story
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-015 Jan. 20) As per law, the Okanogan School District