Wednesday, October 23, 2013
REPUBLIC The state Department of Natural Resources has a new method of helping landowners address forest health problems in the areas around Republic, Curlew, Chesaw, Orient, Kettle Falls and Wauconda.
Landowners often are confronted with woodlands in a high-risk condition for insect outbreaks, but find the economics of tree thinning and restoration too costly, the agency said.
Some wait for the timber market to improve, while others might wait until an outbreak happens and try to clean up the dead timber afterward.
The project seeks to help people by using an incentive payment that improves otherwise economically marginal thinning and restoration activities.
In exchange, landowners would agree to conduct the restoration project on their land using a set of “prescriptions” to achieve forest health.
Landowners can get an incentive payment ranging from $100 to $200 per acre.
A written stewardship plan is necessary. Cost-share funding is available to help develop those plans.
Commissioner of Public Lands Peter Goldmark has issued a Forest Health Hazard Warning for the area, citing western spruce budworm and pine bark beetles as the cause of damage.
Participation information is available from Landowner Assistance Manager Steve Harris with the Colville office or Forest Health Specialist Chuck Hersey in Olympia.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge