Originally published October 17, 2013 at 04:08p.m., updated October 17, 2013 at 04:08p.m.
COLVILLE Property owners in parts of Okanogan and Ferry counties can get grants for forest hazard reduction projects.
During the 2013-2015 biennium, the state Legislature appropriated more than $1 million in forest hazard reduction funding for private landowners in the Forest Health Hazard Warning Area in Okanogan and Ferry counties. The money is administered through the state Department of Natural Resources.
The money will help landowners cover up to 50 percent of the cost of thinning, slash disposal, pruning and other practices that improve forest health by reducing tree density and target wildfire risk by removing fuels.
Many forest stands in the region are too dense, which weakens the trees and makes them more susceptible to damage from insects such as western spruce budworm or pine bark beetles, the agency said.
Department of Natural Resource foresters are available to meet with landowners, assess the health of their forests and make recommendations for achieving landowners’ goals and objectives.
Assistance is available by contacting Steve Harris with the agency’s Colville office.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge