Originally published October 17, 2013 at 04:08p.m., updated October 17, 2013 at 04:08p.m.
COLVILLE Property owners in parts of Okanogan and Ferry counties can get grants for forest hazard reduction projects.
During the 2013-2015 biennium, the state Legislature appropriated more than $1 million in forest hazard reduction funding for private landowners in the Forest Health Hazard Warning Area in Okanogan and Ferry counties. The money is administered through the state Department of Natural Resources.
The money will help landowners cover up to 50 percent of the cost of thinning, slash disposal, pruning and other practices that improve forest health by reducing tree density and target wildfire risk by removing fuels.
Many forest stands in the region are too dense, which weakens the trees and makes them more susceptible to damage from insects such as western spruce budworm or pine bark beetles, the agency said.
Department of Natural Resource foresters are available to meet with landowners, assess the health of their forests and make recommendations for achieving landowners’ goals and objectives.
Assistance is available by contacting Steve Harris with the agency’s Colville office.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge