Wednesday, October 16, 2013
WINTHROP You might call it a case of beginner’s luck.
Colby Peterson, 22, had never been hunting before until heading out into the Methow Valley woods for the opening weekend of modern firearms deer hunting season.
Peterson, from Marysville, killed a 4x4 buck with a 27-inch antler-span Sunday morning.
“We hunted probably from about 6 a.m. to noon (Saturday) and we didn’t get anything for ourselves. And nobody in our group did either,” Peterson said. “The ones I saw had already been shot, so there was nothing to shoot at.”
After six empty hours on his inaugural venture, Peterson took advantage of his first opportunity Sunday with a big buck.
“We get sunrise about 6:50 (a.m.), so it was probably 7:05,” Peterson said.
Peterson was hunting with his dad and his girlfriend’s family.
“This is my first time ever,” he said. “My girlfriend’s uncle invited us. He comes out here often.”
Meanwhile, Tom Nordine, from Kirkland came from the other end of the spectrum.
Nordine has been hunting in Okanogan County since about 1980, he said.
He shot the largest buck that came through the Winthrop deer check station over the weekend, a 6x5 buck with a 30-inch antler-span.
He shot his buck from relatively close distance early Saturday morning.
“There was no chasing it,” he said.
Although Nordine shot the buck early in Saturday, he spent more than a day hauling it out of the forest, he said.
“Actual retrieval time was 27 hours,” he said. “I had to fight that thing getting it down off the hill. Finally got to a road and … dusk.”
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstatedTonasket High School basketball coach Kevin Landdeck has been reinstated through the end of the season.
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan CountyOKANOGAN - Health officials have confirmed one adult case of the Mumps in Okanogan County, according to a release from ...
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE