Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Name: Lee Webster
Family: Married to Sabrina for 19 wonderful years. Three children: Kole Kendall, 17; Lane, 14; Emerson, 10
Occupation: Advanced EMT at Douglas Okanogan County Fire District 15
Career/educational background: Bellevue Community College, Wenatchee Valley College, Washington State University, restaurant management, emergency medical services for 13 years, city of Brewster mayor for the last eight years
• How well has the city managed its budget over the past year, and what do you plan to do differently?
The city has managed its budget very efficiently, which is a credit to the City Council, and especially city staff. That efficiency has allowed us to save money, which we are using to fund significant projects.
Next year, we have four projects either starting or in the engineering phases: one each in water, streets, sewer and the airport totaling $1.96 million, and a very good possibility of an additional $100,000 Street project.
• How should the city address economic development?
Economic opportunities are created by maintaining a healthy community and building positive relationships between the city and the business community.
The city works with the Chamber of Commerce on numerous functions such as the Fourth of July celebration, the Salmon Derby and tourism promotion.
The city will continue to do everything we can to attract visitors, who also support our local businesses.
• What is one of the most important issues the city needs to address and what specific steps would you take to address that issue?
The biggest issues facing the city right now are water and streets. The city has received a state grant partially funding a $734,000 water project, as well as a $294,000 fully funded grant for a desperately needed street project.
We’ve instituted a water flushing program to further improve the quality of our water, and have begun maintaining our streets more effectively and efficiently. We will continue to aggressively address these issues, already identified in our Water Comprehensive Plan and Street Plan, as funding help becomes available.
David Smith (Jr.), a candidate for Brewster mayor, did not respond to The Chronicle’s candidate questionnaire.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge