Wednesday, October 9, 2013
OMAK Tough Enough to Wear Pink fundraisers are providing free mammograms to local residents without insurance.
Two years ago, a woman who took advantage of a Tough Enough-funded mammogram was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Each year, Omak Stampede donates $1 from every Friday night rodeo ticket sold to the campaign, plus money from the sale of campaign T-shirts in its souvenir stand. A separate golf tournament also raises money for the cause.
Not all the sponsorships are in yet for either the rodeo event or the golf tournament, but organizers say they expect to give thousands to the cause.
Stampede expects to have about $6,000 to split among Wenatchee Valley Clinic and Mid-Valley Hospital, both in Omak, and North Valley Hospital in Tonasket, Office Manager Sarah Grooms said.
Each site matches the donation, doubling the Stampede fundraiser’s ability to provide free mammograms to uninsured patients.
“We know it’s helpful” to people in the community, Grooms said.
Meanwhile, the Aug. 23 Tough Enough to Wear Pink Golf Tournament drew 10 teams.
Proceeds stay in Okanogan County for free mammograms and follow-up cancer screens for women with no insurance, organizer Shauna Beeman said.
Not all proceeds from the tournament are in yet, she said.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge