Sunday, October 6, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway – state Highway 20 – remains open despite the federal government’s partial shutdown.
The highway runs through North Cascades National Park and national forest land. Federally managed facilities, including parks and campgrounds, are closed, the state Department of Transportation said.
The North Cascades National Park Complex includes the park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area. Closed facilities include the visitor center in Newhalem, Wilderness Information Center in Marblemount and the park headquarters in Sedro Woolley.
Other closed areas include Ross Lake Resort and water taxi, Hozomeen Campground, North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, Golden West Visitor Center, and the lodge, restaurant and store in Stehekin.
All federal campgrounds, trails and roads are closed.
Park rangers are patrolling the area.
The National Park Service said visitors spend $26 million a year in communities around the park complex, where 120 employees are on furlough and about 40 concession employees are affected. The park service website also is down.
More like this story
- 50 years ago: Riverside may get new bridge
- 820 (2017-071 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP
- Board votes not to renew Landdeck's coaching contract
- North Valley Hospital begins administrator search
- 83 year-old woman with Alzheimer’s reported missing
- 820 (2017-057 March 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5, 12) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-067 March 22, 29, April 5) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-068 March 29, April 19) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO RCW CHAPTER 61.24
- 820 (2017-069 March 29) INVITATION TO BID
- 820 (2017-070 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP