Sunday, October 6, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway – state Highway 20 – remains open despite the federal government’s partial shutdown.
The highway runs through North Cascades National Park and national forest land. Federally managed facilities, including parks and campgrounds, are closed, the state Department of Transportation said.
The North Cascades National Park Complex includes the park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area. Closed facilities include the visitor center in Newhalem, Wilderness Information Center in Marblemount and the park headquarters in Sedro Woolley.
Other closed areas include Ross Lake Resort and water taxi, Hozomeen Campground, North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, Golden West Visitor Center, and the lodge, restaurant and store in Stehekin.
All federal campgrounds, trails and roads are closed.
Park rangers are patrolling the area.
The National Park Service said visitors spend $26 million a year in communities around the park complex, where 120 employees are on furlough and about 40 concession employees are affected. The park service website also is down.
More like this story
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
- Hospital board does interview without search
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge