Sunday, October 6, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway – state Highway 20 – remains open despite the federal government’s partial shutdown.
The highway runs through North Cascades National Park and national forest land. Federally managed facilities, including parks and campgrounds, are closed, the state Department of Transportation said.
The North Cascades National Park Complex includes the park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area. Closed facilities include the visitor center in Newhalem, Wilderness Information Center in Marblemount and the park headquarters in Sedro Woolley.
Other closed areas include Ross Lake Resort and water taxi, Hozomeen Campground, North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, Golden West Visitor Center, and the lodge, restaurant and store in Stehekin.
All federal campgrounds, trails and roads are closed.
Park rangers are patrolling the area.
The National Park Service said visitors spend $26 million a year in communities around the park complex, where 120 employees are on furlough and about 40 concession employees are affected. The park service website also is down.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON