Sunday, October 6, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway – state Highway 20 – remains open despite the federal government’s partial shutdown.
The highway runs through North Cascades National Park and national forest land. Federally managed facilities, including parks and campgrounds, are closed, the state Department of Transportation said.
The North Cascades National Park Complex includes the park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area. Closed facilities include the visitor center in Newhalem, Wilderness Information Center in Marblemount and the park headquarters in Sedro Woolley.
Other closed areas include Ross Lake Resort and water taxi, Hozomeen Campground, North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, Golden West Visitor Center, and the lodge, restaurant and store in Stehekin.
All federal campgrounds, trails and roads are closed.
Park rangers are patrolling the area.
The National Park Service said visitors spend $26 million a year in communities around the park complex, where 120 employees are on furlough and about 40 concession employees are affected. The park service website also is down.
More like this story
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Proctor hangs on for win in California
- Softball: Lakeside ends Omak’s season
- Softball: Brewster captures District 5/6 fastpitch title
- Track: Liberty Bell girls sweep to 2B district crown
- Track: Okanogan girls win District 6 track team crown
- Track: Republic sends a bunch of tracksters to 1B state
- Tennis: Okanogan sends district doubles champs to state
- Historical museums open this weekend
- Baseball: Brewster falls just short of state Final Four
- Baseball: Colfax takes out Liberty Bell, 12-2