Sunday, October 6, 2013
OKANOGAN Four candidates are vying for two open positions on the Okanogan County Parks and Recreation Board, also known as the fair board.
County commissioners will interview two of the candidates, Shonta Wood and Justin Wilson, starting at 9 a.m. Monday at the commissioners’ hearing room, 123 N. Fifth Ave.
The other candidates, Dave Yarnell and Monica Rawson, were interviewed Sept. 25.
The seven-member board oversees the annual Okanogan County Fair. To pull off the 66th annual fair this year, the board had to make do with five members and some help from the community, Chairwoman Gwen Whitley said.
“Let’s just say we all had to work a little harder,” she said. “We just all had to step up to the plate and do a little more, but I think everything went well.”
In the past, the fair board conducted the interviews and passed recommendations to the county commissioners.
“Since all three of our commissioners don’t sit in on fair board meetings, they wanted to get a sense of who these folks were,” county Board Clerk Lanie Johns said.
“Commissioners want to be able to learn from our interviews who will have the time, interest and dedication needed for the position,” Commissioner Sheilah Kennedy said.
Whitley said the fair board will still interview the candidates, and Kennedy said the county will make the appointments after hearing the fair board’s recommendation. No timeline has been set.
The next fair board meeting will be 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9, at the fair office, 175 Rodeo Trail Road.
The new board members will replace Maurice Goodall and James McCuen. Goodall resigned following a contentious June 12 meeting.
The next week, the county commissioners removed McCuen at the request of the other board members, who said he had used profanity and launched verbal attacks at the board during the meeting.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge