Sunday, October 6, 2013
OKANOGAN Four candidates are vying for two open positions on the Okanogan County Parks and Recreation Board, also known as the fair board.
County commissioners will interview two of the candidates, Shonta Wood and Justin Wilson, starting at 9 a.m. Monday at the commissioners’ hearing room, 123 N. Fifth Ave.
The other candidates, Dave Yarnell and Monica Rawson, were interviewed Sept. 25.
The seven-member board oversees the annual Okanogan County Fair. To pull off the 66th annual fair this year, the board had to make do with five members and some help from the community, Chairwoman Gwen Whitley said.
“Let’s just say we all had to work a little harder,” she said. “We just all had to step up to the plate and do a little more, but I think everything went well.”
In the past, the fair board conducted the interviews and passed recommendations to the county commissioners.
“Since all three of our commissioners don’t sit in on fair board meetings, they wanted to get a sense of who these folks were,” county Board Clerk Lanie Johns said.
“Commissioners want to be able to learn from our interviews who will have the time, interest and dedication needed for the position,” Commissioner Sheilah Kennedy said.
Whitley said the fair board will still interview the candidates, and Kennedy said the county will make the appointments after hearing the fair board’s recommendation. No timeline has been set.
The next fair board meeting will be 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9, at the fair office, 175 Rodeo Trail Road.
The new board members will replace Maurice Goodall and James McCuen. Goodall resigned following a contentious June 12 meeting.
The next week, the county commissioners removed McCuen at the request of the other board members, who said he had used profanity and launched verbal attacks at the board during the meeting.
More like this story
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
- 820 (2016-330 July 27, Aug. 3, 10) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
- 820 (2016-331 July 27, Aug. 3) INVITATION FOR RE-BIDS
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge