Wednesday, October 2, 2013
OROVILLE The Okanogan County commissioners have postponed further decisions on the details of selling nearly 100 acres of land near Whistler Canyon until their Oct. 7 meeting.
Meanwhile, a Facebook page called “Save Whistler Canyon Trailhead” has been created and had 129 “likes” as of Monday afternoon. The page’s goal is to galvanize people to raise enough money to purchase the land, in order to secure permanent public access to the trails, or convince the county not to sell it in the hopes that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management will follow through on its plan to purchase.
“There was a different tone in the meeting,” Tonasket resident James Moore said of the most recent hearing on Sept. 23. He said the commissioners were more “conciliatory” than before, when he and others came away feeling as though the county had already made up its mind before the hearing.
Moore, along with Havillah resident Mark Morris and others who often use the Whistler Canyon trailhead off U.S. Highway 97, have been asking commissioners for permanent easements to access the trailhead and extending trails. The land is set to be auctioned off in December.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge