Wednesday, October 2, 2013
OROVILLE The Okanogan County commissioners have postponed further decisions on the details of selling nearly 100 acres of land near Whistler Canyon until their Oct. 7 meeting.
Meanwhile, a Facebook page called “Save Whistler Canyon Trailhead” has been created and had 129 “likes” as of Monday afternoon. The page’s goal is to galvanize people to raise enough money to purchase the land, in order to secure permanent public access to the trails, or convince the county not to sell it in the hopes that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management will follow through on its plan to purchase.
“There was a different tone in the meeting,” Tonasket resident James Moore said of the most recent hearing on Sept. 23. He said the commissioners were more “conciliatory” than before, when he and others came away feeling as though the county had already made up its mind before the hearing.
Moore, along with Havillah resident Mark Morris and others who often use the Whistler Canyon trailhead off U.S. Highway 97, have been asking commissioners for permanent easements to access the trailhead and extending trails. The land is set to be auctioned off in December.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge