Wednesday, October 2, 2013
OROVILLE The Okanogan County commissioners have postponed further decisions on the details of selling nearly 100 acres of land near Whistler Canyon until their Oct. 7 meeting.
Meanwhile, a Facebook page called “Save Whistler Canyon Trailhead” has been created and had 129 “likes” as of Monday afternoon. The page’s goal is to galvanize people to raise enough money to purchase the land, in order to secure permanent public access to the trails, or convince the county not to sell it in the hopes that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management will follow through on its plan to purchase.
“There was a different tone in the meeting,” Tonasket resident James Moore said of the most recent hearing on Sept. 23. He said the commissioners were more “conciliatory” than before, when he and others came away feeling as though the county had already made up its mind before the hearing.
Moore, along with Havillah resident Mark Morris and others who often use the Whistler Canyon trailhead off U.S. Highway 97, have been asking commissioners for permanent easements to access the trailhead and extending trails. The land is set to be auctioned off in December.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge