Wednesday, November 27, 2013
OKANOGAN An Omak woman was sentenced last week for a 2011 vehicle crash that killed one man and injured two other passengers.
Shanie Rae Marchand, 34, was sentenced Nov. 19 to 101.5 months in prison for the death and 59.5 months for vehicular assault, with the sentences to be served concurrently.
She pleaded guilty April 15 to vehicular homicide in the Nov. 4, 2011, death of Omak resident Lyle D. Edwards, 59, and vehicular assault for injuries sustained by passengers Georgina J. Dangeli, 39, and Daniel L. Marchand, 41. Both are from Omak.
She was driving a pickup truck southbound at 1 a.m. about 13 miles south of Omak near Disautel when her truck went off state Highway 155, rotated counter-clockwise and overturned.
The vehicle came to rest on its wheels on the westbound shoulder.
Edwards died at the scene, the Washington State Patrol said. He was not wearing a seatbelt.
Shanie Marchand, Dangeli and Daniel Marchand were injured.
Shanie Marchand was wearing a seatbelt; her passengers were not.
The injured were taken by ambulance to Mid-Valley Hospital, Omak, and then transferred to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane.
The charges alleged Shanie Marchand drove the vehicle within two hours after having a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher.
A court record said her blood alcohol level was .056 some time after the fatal crash. She also allegedly had the drugs paroxentine and hydromorphone in her blood.
Her criminal history was a factor in deciding the sentence. She has prior convictions of eight forgeries, two second-degree thefts and a residential burglary.
More like this story
- Marchand sentenced in two-year-old vehicular homicide case
- Twisp woman found guilty of vehicular homicide, assault in 2014 case
- Vehicular homicide plea brings at least 41-month prison sentence for man responsible of killing Grandview woman
- Court date set in fatal crash
- Man sentenced in brother’s death
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
- Hospital board does interview without search
- Tonasket strip club just a rumor
- District delayed in CEO firing
- Fire crews called to multiple fires following lightning storm
- Kennedy, Branch, Hover and Thrasher move on to General Election
- 810 (2016-343 Aug. 17) Notice of Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-339 Aug. 17, Sept. 7) TS #60390-00113-NJ-WA - APN #2370080002
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge