Wednesday, November 27, 2013
OKANOGAN An Omak woman was sentenced last week for a 2011 vehicle crash that killed one man and injured two other passengers.
Shanie Rae Marchand, 34, was sentenced Nov. 19 to 101.5 months in prison for the death and 59.5 months for vehicular assault, with the sentences to be served concurrently.
She pleaded guilty April 15 to vehicular homicide in the Nov. 4, 2011, death of Omak resident Lyle D. Edwards, 59, and vehicular assault for injuries sustained by passengers Georgina J. Dangeli, 39, and Daniel L. Marchand, 41. Both are from Omak.
She was driving a pickup truck southbound at 1 a.m. about 13 miles south of Omak near Disautel when her truck went off state Highway 155, rotated counter-clockwise and overturned.
The vehicle came to rest on its wheels on the westbound shoulder.
Edwards died at the scene, the Washington State Patrol said. He was not wearing a seatbelt.
Shanie Marchand, Dangeli and Daniel Marchand were injured.
Shanie Marchand was wearing a seatbelt; her passengers were not.
The injured were taken by ambulance to Mid-Valley Hospital, Omak, and then transferred to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane.
The charges alleged Shanie Marchand drove the vehicle within two hours after having a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher.
A court record said her blood alcohol level was .056 some time after the fatal crash. She also allegedly had the drugs paroxentine and hydromorphone in her blood.
Her criminal history was a factor in deciding the sentence. She has prior convictions of eight forgeries, two second-degree thefts and a residential burglary.
More like this story
- One dead after morning apartment fire
- Bear captured in Oroville yard
- Students compete at state
- Rattlesnake season begins
- Flash flood warning issued
- May Fest parade results announced
- Fastpitch tournament moves games to Friday
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 800 (2016-205 May 18) Public Hearing Notice CDBG Public Services
- 800 (2016-206 May 18) Public Hearing CDBG Housing Rehab
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge