Wednesday, November 27, 2013
OMAK Officials are investigating a fire last week at the Omak Wood Products mill.
Omak Fire Department was called to the scene at 6:43 p.m. last Wednesday to battle a fire that began outside the mill at the green end of the facility and spread to the inside of the building at 1100 E. Eighth Ave.
Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said the sprinkler system indoors helped control the blaze, but about 29 total firefighters “still had to take suppression action on it.”
Bowling said Omak and Okanogan firefighters worked on the fire until 7:55 p.m.
The fire, adjacent to the building housing the log intake area, was first noticed by two mill employees who were working indoors, mill spokesman Paul Queary said.
Queary said no material damage was done, but some wiring was burned and the old wooden siding beneath the metal exterior was charred.
“The fire suppressing system inside the mill functioned exactly as designed, minimizing damage,” he said.
Bowling said the cause of the fire is unknown and is still under investigation at this time.
Queary said further internal investigation will be conducted to discuss how to reduce future risk and review the effectiveness of emergency response.
He said the blaze appears to have started beneath a conveyor that carries partially peeled logs back out of the mill.
“The leadership and members of the volunteer fire department are to be commended for their rapid, effective response, as well as the mill security team and other employees for their quick, professional handling of the situation,” Queary said.
Bowling said 23 Omak firefighters responded to the scene, while Okanogan also responded with a truck and six firefighters.
The Omak Wood Products mill recently reopened after a hiatus of nearly four years.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge