Wednesday, November 27, 2013
OKANOGAN Donations are being accepted for the annual Omak-Okanogan Community Christmas Basket Program, which provides holiday food for people in need.
“As we celebrate the holidays with friends and family, counting our blessings during this time of year, it’s important to remember those less fortunate than us in our own community,” the basket committee said.
The Omak Kiwanis Club and Omak-Okanogan Civic League coordinate the program.
Distribution will be at 8 a.m. Dec. 21 at the Okanogan County Fairgrounds Agriplex, 175 Rodeo Trail Road.
Donations will be accepted from 4-7 p.m. Dec. 16-20. Bulk donations will be assembled into baskets on those days.
Each basket will contain a holiday meal consisting of a meat certificate (small, $10, or large, $12-15), plus canned vegetables (corn and beans suggested), potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing mix and dessert mix, plus staples for a week.
Suggested staple items include rice, beans, cereal, jelly, peanut butter, syrup, pancake mix, oil, tuna, main dish mixes, powdered milk, flour, noodles, soup and fruit or juice.
Donations of individual food items can be made, or a business, group or family can donate a complete basket, organizers said.
Cash donations can be made to the Community Christmas Basket Account at the Omak branch of Wells Fargo Bank, 21 W. First St.
More like this story
- Power outage reported in Highway 20, Malott and Twisp areas
- Student earns Eagle rank
- Snow survey: Yup, lots of water
- Tribe offers bounty on pike
- Highway clearing continues
- Distracted driving bill approved
- Tonasket ponders annexation
- Newhouse bows out of meeting; staff will relay messages
- State House honors Mel Tonasket
- 810 (2017-099 April 19) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 889 of the City of Brewster, Washington