Thursday, November 21, 2013
OKANOGAN A Pontiac Ridge father and his son are being held in the Okanogan County Jail on $1 million in connection with the September slaying of Hoquiam hunter Michael R. Carrigan.
Bail was set Wednesday for John Wayne Jennings, 57, and Adam Shaun Jennings, 27, both of Chesaw in Okanogan County Superior Court.
The men are charged with first-degree premeditated murder and face up to life in prison and a $50,000 fine if convicted.
The men were arrested Tuesday, Undersheriff Joe Somday said.
Adam Jennings also was arrested on suspicion of unlawful possession of a firearm, Somday said. His father was arrested on suspicion of delivery of a firearm to an ineligible person.
Both live on Pontiac Ridge Road about six miles from Chesaw.
Carrigan, 52, died Sept. 2 during a hunting trip. His hunting partner, Gig Harbor resident George R. Stover, 65, told deputies they had been hunting grouse and Carrigan got out of the vehicle to shoot at a grouse, court records show.
Stover heard a shot and saw Carrigan with blood on him and then saw him fall to the ground, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
An autopsy determined he died of a .22 caliber gunshot wound to the back.
As of mid-afternoon Tuesday, law enforcement officers were still at the Jennings homestead executing a search warrant on the Jennings property and home, Somday said.
Carrigan’s death was the fifth homicide in the county in 2013.
A full story will appear in the Nov. 27 print edition and e-edition of The Chronicle.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge