Thursday, November 21, 2013
OKANOGAN A Pontiac Ridge father and his son are being held in the Okanogan County Jail on $1 million in connection with the September slaying of Hoquiam hunter Michael R. Carrigan.
Bail was set Wednesday for John Wayne Jennings, 57, and Adam Shaun Jennings, 27, both of Chesaw in Okanogan County Superior Court.
The men are charged with first-degree premeditated murder and face up to life in prison and a $50,000 fine if convicted.
The men were arrested Tuesday, Undersheriff Joe Somday said.
Adam Jennings also was arrested on suspicion of unlawful possession of a firearm, Somday said. His father was arrested on suspicion of delivery of a firearm to an ineligible person.
Both live on Pontiac Ridge Road about six miles from Chesaw.
Carrigan, 52, died Sept. 2 during a hunting trip. His hunting partner, Gig Harbor resident George R. Stover, 65, told deputies they had been hunting grouse and Carrigan got out of the vehicle to shoot at a grouse, court records show.
Stover heard a shot and saw Carrigan with blood on him and then saw him fall to the ground, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
An autopsy determined he died of a .22 caliber gunshot wound to the back.
As of mid-afternoon Tuesday, law enforcement officers were still at the Jennings homestead executing a search warrant on the Jennings property and home, Somday said.
Carrigan’s death was the fifth homicide in the county in 2013.
A full story will appear in the Nov. 27 print edition and e-edition of The Chronicle.
More like this story
- Signups start for Okanogan rooter's bus
- School to honor state soccer champs
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- Fire damages building supply
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL