Wednesday, November 20, 2013
OMAK The 28th Okanogan Valley Soroptimist Club Sharing Tree will be in place and ready for donors Nov. 22.
The group is starting earlier than usual because Thanksgiving falls so late this year, Soroptimist member B.J. Bleakney said. Normally, the tree goes up after Thanksgiving.
The state Department of Social and Health Services is providing the club with Christmas wishes of young clients. Names are not included.
Those wishes will be written on ornaments made by East Omak Elementary School students in Mary Boyd, Janet McKee, Alicia O’Dell and Annelise Franklin’s classes.
A donor can take an ornament, buy one or more gifts on the wish list, and return the gift and ornament to the tree at North Cascades Bank, 721 Okoma Drive.
Bleakney said 305 children’s wish lists will be on the tree, and the requests often are for practical things instead of frivolous ones.
One boy, age 17, requested towels, pillowcases and a blanket.
“That just made me want to cry,” Bleakney said.
Last year’s Sharing Tree helped more than 200 children.
The tree is one of several gift-giving opportunities in the area each holiday season.
The Chronicle has hosted the Tree of Giving for the past few years; last year the gifts went to The Support Center.
Other opportunities include toy and coat drives, Salvation Army bellringers and Christmas food baskets.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge