Wednesday, November 20, 2013
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is performing an immigration compliance audit on a local, unnamed farm.
I-9 audits are being conducted on companies all over the state, including those in Okanogan and Wenatchee, Washington Farm Labor Association Executive Director Dan Fazio said.
“Farmers got lucky this time,” Fazio said. “Many received audit notices in late August and September but were able to get through harvest without receiving termination notices.”
Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Andrew Munoz did not reply to a Chronicle request for comment.
He said earlier that his agency doesn’t confirm or deny an audit until there is public enforcement action. Most audits are resolved without enforcement action.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement said there were 3,122 I-9 audits during fiscal year 2013, with 651 orders fining employers and ordering them to stop breaking the law.
I-9 forms are required of all workers hired since immigration reform in 1986-87. The form is designed to verify a worker is in the country legally and eligible for work.
Fazio alleged the audits are “politically motivated” and don’t do anything to correct the problem since illegal workers often move from employer to employer.
He said his office generally is tipped off to audits by employers. The association offers immigration compliance training, webinars, phone and in-person training and on-site document checks.
Fazio said he’s heard Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans 2,000 additional I-9 compliance audits in January.
In 2010, Gebbers Farms was hit with immigration violations after an Immigration and Customs Enforcement audit. An estimated 550 workers were fired as a result.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge