Originally published November 19, 2013 at 05:01p.m., updated November 19, 2013 at 05:06p.m.
BREWSTER The body of a Bridgeport man who went missing on a trip to Chelan was found Tuesday afternoon in the wreckage of his car.
Gordon Benjamin Beadell's car was found at 1:15 p.m. upside down in the Columbia River on the downstream side of Brewster Bridge, near the intersection of state Highway 173 and Crane Orchard Road.
The vehicle was found by the missing man's cousin, Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.
"The car was about 20 feet downstream from the bridge," he said. "It was upside down with its front wheel still on the shore."
Deputies called in a tow truck to pull the vehicle from the river.
Inside, they discovered Beadell's body, the sheriff said, noting the 81-year-old resident was positively identified.
Authorities are trying to determine if the car was driven intentionally into the water or if Beadell drifted off the road.
"There was no apparent sign of trauma to the victim's body," the sheriff said, adding that an autopsy was not ordered by the coroner.
"The Douglas County Sheriff's Office sends its deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Mr. Beadell," Gjesdal said.
Beadell went missing Nov. 11 during a planned shopping trip to Walmart in Chelan.
Beadell was supposed to leave for the store about 5 p.m. but never returned in his red 1998 Buick Skylark with Washington license plate number 91344DP, deputies said.
Friends and family reported Beadell suffered from dementia and was insulin dependent, authorities said, noting he had left without his medication.
More like this story
- Okanogan County PUD plans power outage April 6
- Tonasket public pool slated to open in June
- Crab feed is planned Saturday in Grand Coulee
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Thursday additions
- 50 years ago: Fire damages Tonasket School
- Assembly recognizes Tonasket High School athletes
- Three injured in two-vehicle crash near Colville
- Industrial hemp pilot project planned
- Pavement crack sealing under way on Highway 97
- Tonasket man accused of raping Kitsap County woman