Originally published November 19, 2013 at 05:01p.m., updated November 19, 2013 at 05:06p.m.
BREWSTER The body of a Bridgeport man who went missing on a trip to Chelan was found Tuesday afternoon in the wreckage of his car.
Gordon Benjamin Beadell's car was found at 1:15 p.m. upside down in the Columbia River on the downstream side of Brewster Bridge, near the intersection of state Highway 173 and Crane Orchard Road.
The vehicle was found by the missing man's cousin, Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.
"The car was about 20 feet downstream from the bridge," he said. "It was upside down with its front wheel still on the shore."
Deputies called in a tow truck to pull the vehicle from the river.
Inside, they discovered Beadell's body, the sheriff said, noting the 81-year-old resident was positively identified.
Authorities are trying to determine if the car was driven intentionally into the water or if Beadell drifted off the road.
"There was no apparent sign of trauma to the victim's body," the sheriff said, adding that an autopsy was not ordered by the coroner.
"The Douglas County Sheriff's Office sends its deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Mr. Beadell," Gjesdal said.
Beadell went missing Nov. 11 during a planned shopping trip to Walmart in Chelan.
Beadell was supposed to leave for the store about 5 p.m. but never returned in his red 1998 Buick Skylark with Washington license plate number 91344DP, deputies said.
Friends and family reported Beadell suffered from dementia and was insulin dependent, authorities said, noting he had left without his medication.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge