Tuesday, November 19, 2013
ORONDO An orchardist uncovered explosives Saturday that had apparently been buried under a brush pile for more than 30 years.
The orchardist, whose name has yet to be released, found a large metal barrel containing dynamite while clearing up a brush pile at about 12:54 p.m. at his Orondo Drive orchard, according to Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal.
"The reporting party said he had located a large metal barrel at the bottom of a brush pile," Gjesdal said. "It contained sticks of what appeared to be dynamite and blocks marked 'TNT'."
Gjesdal said the land owner told deputies he purchased the property in 1983 and didn't know about the explosives.
"The area was cordoned off with crime scene tape and an Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal team from Yakima was called," Gjesdal said.
Arriving at 6:30 p.m., the team recovered the sticks and blocks of explosives and packed them for removal.
The explosives were transported to the Army firing range in Yakima for destruction, the sheriff said.
"There were no injuries during the incident," he said. "We do not have any estimates on how much explosives were recovered or how long they had been in the orchard.
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acresHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
- Crews work to line Pickens North fireHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
More like this story
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge