Sunday, November 17, 2013
YAKIMA Three strikes and your out, even in volleyball.
The Bridgeport volleyball team learned the count at the state 2B tournament Friday at the SunDome, dropping two matches by identical 3-0 scores.
“All season, you just want to get here,” coach Hanna Coffman said after her team was eliminated. “But once you’re here, you want to compete.”
The Fillies, experiencing their first taste of the state tournament, ran into two powerful serving teams in the first two rounds, falling to both Toutle Lake and Tri-Cities Prep.
In the final match, Tri-Cities Prep kept the Fillies on the defensive, with the Jaguars taking the sets 25-12, 25-11 and 25-17.
“It was a good building experience for us,” Coffman said. “We’re lucky to have had the opportunity.”
Jaguars head coach Marcie Brown credited Bridgeport for making the state tournament with a similarly inexperienced team.
“We just wanted to make it to the second day more,” she said of her team starting out strong and never looking back.
Bridgeport has eight seniors that won’t be returning next year, including Diocelina Torres, Juana Perez, Samantha Velasco, Marge Chapa, Maya Martinez, Ana Trejo, Courtney Austin and Leticia Lopez.
Austin received the Sportsmanship Award for the second game; Torres received it for the first.
“We’re graduating a lot of senior leadership, but we have a lot of young talent coming back,” Coffman said.
In the opening game Friday morning, Toutle Lake knocked Bridgeport into the consolation, loser-out bracket 25-4, 25-16 and 25-17.
“They’re a really good hitting team,” Coffman said of Toutle Lake. “I think we were just a little bit overwhelmed.”
Coffman said the Fillies improved in each of the three sets in their first game at the state volleyball tournament.
“Our blocking really caught on,” she said.
“I think it went pretty well,” Torres said of her team’s performance against Toutle Lake. “We knew they were a tough team.
“We just needed to get the hang of it (state play).”
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON