Saturday, November 16, 2013
YAKIMA Pateros put down the Wilbur-Creston Wildcat late Saturday morning in a hard-fought 3-2 victory at the state 1B volleyball tournament in the SunDome.
The win, propelled by strong serving and deep digs, put the Nannies in the 3 p.m. trophy game for fifth-place against the Almira/Coulee-Hartline Warriors.
Wilbur-Creston coach Teri Haglin was nearly speechless over her team’s defeat by Pateros.
“I am in shock,” she said. “I didn’t think we could lose.”
Pateros coach Gene Dowers said that’s a mistake a lot of other teams make when sizing up Pateros.
“These guys just need a little door to open,” he said of his team.
That open door came in the second set of the Saturday morning’s game when junior Emmalee Luft took the service line with the game tied at 9.
She served 13 straight points, leading her team to a set victory and turning the table on Wilbur-Creston, which dominated the first set.
“It was a really good run,” Luft said. “It brought us up and changed the whole game.”
“It changed it (the tempo) a lot,” Haglin said of the run.
“It gave them (Pateros girls) the opportunity they needed,” Dowers added.
With the game tied at one set each, the Nannies and Wildcats waged a back-and-forth battle through sets three, four and five.
Despite Pateros having been undefeated all season prior to the state tournament, Haglin said she believed her girls would pull out a victory.
But the Nannies pulled out the final set, winning 15-13 and eliminating the Wildcats from the state tournament.
“This is what state is supposed to be like,” Dowers said.
In the first day of the state 1B tournament, Pateros defeated Quilcene, 3-0, then fell to Christian Faith, also by 3-0.
The Nannies and the Warriors face off at 3 p.m.
In their previous two meetings, Pateros defeated ACH.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge