Saturday, November 16, 2013
YAKIMA Pateros put down the Wilbur-Creston Wildcat late Saturday morning in a hard-fought 3-2 victory at the state 1B volleyball tournament in the SunDome.
The win, propelled by strong serving and deep digs, put the Nannies in the 3 p.m. trophy game for fifth-place against the Almira/Coulee-Hartline Warriors.
Wilbur-Creston coach Teri Haglin was nearly speechless over her team’s defeat by Pateros.
“I am in shock,” she said. “I didn’t think we could lose.”
Pateros coach Gene Dowers said that’s a mistake a lot of other teams make when sizing up Pateros.
“These guys just need a little door to open,” he said of his team.
That open door came in the second set of the Saturday morning’s game when junior Emmalee Luft took the service line with the game tied at 9.
She served 13 straight points, leading her team to a set victory and turning the table on Wilbur-Creston, which dominated the first set.
“It was a really good run,” Luft said. “It brought us up and changed the whole game.”
“It changed it (the tempo) a lot,” Haglin said of the run.
“It gave them (Pateros girls) the opportunity they needed,” Dowers added.
With the game tied at one set each, the Nannies and Wildcats waged a back-and-forth battle through sets three, four and five.
Despite Pateros having been undefeated all season prior to the state tournament, Haglin said she believed her girls would pull out a victory.
But the Nannies pulled out the final set, winning 15-13 and eliminating the Wildcats from the state tournament.
“This is what state is supposed to be like,” Dowers said.
In the first day of the state 1B tournament, Pateros defeated Quilcene, 3-0, then fell to Christian Faith, also by 3-0.
The Nannies and the Warriors face off at 3 p.m.
In their previous two meetings, Pateros defeated ACH.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON