Saturday, November 16, 2013
YAKIMA Pateros put down the Wilbur-Creston Wildcat late Saturday morning in a hard-fought 3-2 victory at the state 1B volleyball tournament in the SunDome.
The win, propelled by strong serving and deep digs, put the Nannies in the 3 p.m. trophy game for fifth-place against the Almira/Coulee-Hartline Warriors.
Wilbur-Creston coach Teri Haglin was nearly speechless over her team’s defeat by Pateros.
“I am in shock,” she said. “I didn’t think we could lose.”
Pateros coach Gene Dowers said that’s a mistake a lot of other teams make when sizing up Pateros.
“These guys just need a little door to open,” he said of his team.
That open door came in the second set of the Saturday morning’s game when junior Emmalee Luft took the service line with the game tied at 9.
She served 13 straight points, leading her team to a set victory and turning the table on Wilbur-Creston, which dominated the first set.
“It was a really good run,” Luft said. “It brought us up and changed the whole game.”
“It changed it (the tempo) a lot,” Haglin said of the run.
“It gave them (Pateros girls) the opportunity they needed,” Dowers added.
With the game tied at one set each, the Nannies and Wildcats waged a back-and-forth battle through sets three, four and five.
Despite Pateros having been undefeated all season prior to the state tournament, Haglin said she believed her girls would pull out a victory.
But the Nannies pulled out the final set, winning 15-13 and eliminating the Wildcats from the state tournament.
“This is what state is supposed to be like,” Dowers said.
In the first day of the state 1B tournament, Pateros defeated Quilcene, 3-0, then fell to Christian Faith, also by 3-0.
The Nannies and the Warriors face off at 3 p.m.
In their previous two meetings, Pateros defeated ACH.
More like this story
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-015 Jan. 20) As per law, the Okanogan School District