Friday, November 15, 2013
YAKIMA The Christian Faith Eagles ended Pateros’ perfect season and avenged last year’s elimination Friday night, sweeping the Nannies, 3-0, at the state 1B volleyball tournament in the SunDome.
The Eagles took the series 28-26, 27-25 and 25-19.
“It was a great battle,” Pateros coach Gene Dowers said after his girls suffered their first lost of the year and dropped to the consolation round. “It doesn’t get much better than that.”
Pateros had an opportunity to win the first two sets, but squandered three set points in the first set and four in the second, opening the door for the Eagles’ come-from-behind wins.
Last year, Pateros eliminated Faith Christian from the state tournament.
Faith Christian coach Stephanie Pond said her girls had been training for set-point deficits.
“It was a tough win,” she said of the games. “But we practiced that scenario all the time.”
Pond called Pateros a “scrappy” team with a lot of heart.
“They never gave up,” she said. “You can tell their coach really invests a lot in them.”
Christian Faith advances to the semi-finals where they will face Pomeroy, which survived the quarter-finals with a 3-1 win over Wilbur-Creston.
“We’re going to have to step it up,” Pond said of her team’s bid to advance to the title game.
Pateros will play a loser-out game with Wilbur-Creston. That game is at 11 a.m. on Court 4, with the victor advancing to play Almira/Coulee-Hartline or Shoreline Christian for fifth place.
With Saturday night's loss, Pateros now has a 17-1 record.
ACH remained alive in state play Saturday evening after losing, 3-1, to Mount Vernon Christian.
“Tomorrow will be tougher than today,” Dowers said, noting the Nannies would have a team meeting before calling it a night. “Then, we’re going to get some rest.”
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge