Friday, November 15, 2013
YAKIMA The Bridgeport Fillies were no match for a powerful Toutle Lake volleyball squad, falling 3-0 in the opening round of the state tournament in the SunDome.
"They're a really good hitting team," Bridgeport coach Hanna Coffman said Friday after her girls dropped the third set. "I think we were just a little bit overwhelmed."
Bridgeport will play a loser-out game at 3:15 p.m. today against Tri-Cities Prep, which fell in the first round to LaConner.
Coffman said the Fillies improved in each of the three sets.
"Our blocking really caught on," she said. "If we can just carry our momentum into the next round."
Senior Diocelina Torres received the sportsmanship award for the Fillies.
In her first appearance at a state event, she said she was "excited" despite the loss.
"I think it went pretty well," she said. "We knew they were a tough team."
Appearing before thousands of volleyball fans made the competition more intense, she said.
"We just needed to get the hang of it," she said.
In other North-Central Washington volleyball action at state, Almira/Coulee-Hartline held on to edge Sunnyside Christian, 3-2, in the Warriors' state-opener.
At 1:30 p.m., the undefeated Pateros Nannies will take on Quilcene, which finished third in its league on the North-Olympic Peninsula and fifth in its region to reach state.
More like this story
- School seeks veteran photos
- BBB warns of fake online Seahawks store
- 3,895 pounds of chicken, pork bologna recalled
- New October rainfall records set
- Lester sentenced for child rape, molestation
- Woodcutting accident causes Ferry County power outage
- Officials suspend pursuit on Profanity Peak wolves
- Work slated to begin soon on Omak DNR fire base
- New business to occupy former Hughes store in Oroville
- 810 (2016-414 Oct. 19, 26) CITY OF OKANOGAN 2017 FINAL BUDGET PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge