Friday, November 15, 2013
YAKIMA The Bridgeport Fillies were no match for a powerful Toutle Lake volleyball squad, falling 3-0 in the opening round of the state tournament in the SunDome.
"They're a really good hitting team," Bridgeport coach Hanna Coffman said Friday after her girls dropped the third set. "I think we were just a little bit overwhelmed."
Bridgeport will play a loser-out game at 3:15 p.m. today against Tri-Cities Prep, which fell in the first round to LaConner.
Coffman said the Fillies improved in each of the three sets.
"Our blocking really caught on," she said. "If we can just carry our momentum into the next round."
Senior Diocelina Torres received the sportsmanship award for the Fillies.
In her first appearance at a state event, she said she was "excited" despite the loss.
"I think it went pretty well," she said. "We knew they were a tough team."
Appearing before thousands of volleyball fans made the competition more intense, she said.
"We just needed to get the hang of it," she said.
In other North-Central Washington volleyball action at state, Almira/Coulee-Hartline held on to edge Sunnyside Christian, 3-2, in the Warriors' state-opener.
At 1:30 p.m., the undefeated Pateros Nannies will take on Quilcene, which finished third in its league on the North-Olympic Peninsula and fifth in its region to reach state.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge