Friday, November 15, 2013
YAKIMA The Bridgeport Fillies were no match for a powerful Toutle Lake volleyball squad, falling 3-0 in the opening round of the state tournament in the SunDome.
"They're a really good hitting team," Bridgeport coach Hanna Coffman said Friday after her girls dropped the third set. "I think we were just a little bit overwhelmed."
Bridgeport will play a loser-out game at 3:15 p.m. today against Tri-Cities Prep, which fell in the first round to LaConner.
Coffman said the Fillies improved in each of the three sets.
"Our blocking really caught on," she said. "If we can just carry our momentum into the next round."
Senior Diocelina Torres received the sportsmanship award for the Fillies.
In her first appearance at a state event, she said she was "excited" despite the loss.
"I think it went pretty well," she said. "We knew they were a tough team."
Appearing before thousands of volleyball fans made the competition more intense, she said.
"We just needed to get the hang of it," she said.
In other North-Central Washington volleyball action at state, Almira/Coulee-Hartline held on to edge Sunnyside Christian, 3-2, in the Warriors' state-opener.
At 1:30 p.m., the undefeated Pateros Nannies will take on Quilcene, which finished third in its league on the North-Olympic Peninsula and fifth in its region to reach state.
- 4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Coulee DamResidents throughout Okanogan and surrounding counties may felt the rattle of a 4.3 magnitude earthquake this morning.
- Mother, two children hospitalized following minor crashJessica A. Saffel, 27, Cergio Britt, 8, and Alyssa Britt, 5, all of Yakima, were transported to the Wenatchee hospital ...
More like this story
- 4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Coulee Dam
- Sturgeon fishing returns on Columbia
- Mother, two children hospitalized following minor crash
- Tucannon Fire reaches 2,700 acres
- Carpenter Road fire still growing
- Rain helps crews battle Ferry County fires
- Trudi Inslee visits fire areas today
- Public meeting about fires is today in Nespelem
- Crews gaining ground on Colville Complex
- Goodell Fire burning along highway
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge