Friday, November 15, 2013
YAKIMA The Bridgeport Fillies were no match for a powerful Toutle Lake volleyball squad, falling 3-0 in the opening round of the state tournament in the SunDome.
"They're a really good hitting team," Bridgeport coach Hanna Coffman said Friday after her girls dropped the third set. "I think we were just a little bit overwhelmed."
Bridgeport will play a loser-out game at 3:15 p.m. today against Tri-Cities Prep, which fell in the first round to LaConner.
Coffman said the Fillies improved in each of the three sets.
"Our blocking really caught on," she said. "If we can just carry our momentum into the next round."
Senior Diocelina Torres received the sportsmanship award for the Fillies.
In her first appearance at a state event, she said she was "excited" despite the loss.
"I think it went pretty well," she said. "We knew they were a tough team."
Appearing before thousands of volleyball fans made the competition more intense, she said.
"We just needed to get the hang of it," she said.
In other North-Central Washington volleyball action at state, Almira/Coulee-Hartline held on to edge Sunnyside Christian, 3-2, in the Warriors' state-opener.
At 1:30 p.m., the undefeated Pateros Nannies will take on Quilcene, which finished third in its league on the North-Olympic Peninsula and fifth in its region to reach state.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge