Thursday, November 14, 2013
OMAK A world-renowned author stopped in Omak to give a presentation to local middle school students on the power of reading.
Jack Gantos, author of “Rotten Ralph” and more than two dozen other books, promoted public libraries and the importance of writing Nov. 5 at the Omak Performing Arts Center, 20 S. Cedar St.
Gantos’ presentation was part of the North Central Regional Library’s “Promoting Reading and Lifelong Learning” mission. The one-hour event included sharing a number of pictures and drawings from his childhood, details about his writing process and encouraging students to write something every day.
At the end of the presentation, he spent a few minutes answering questions that students had written down ahead of time.
Gantos published his first novel, “Rotten Ralph,” in 1976 and has won numerous awards throughout his career, which has included books written for people of all ages.
More like this story
- Diamond Creek Fire tops 28,000 acres
- Forest Service: Existing base best choice for smokejumpers
- Community meeting planned for Bridge Creek Fire information
- Colville reservation roads closed; fire danger is extreme
- 2017 Stampede dubbed success
- 1967: Strongest field in Omak Stampede history
- Tonasket hospital district puts brakes on admin hire
- Gate torn down on Three Devils
- Election signs vandalized
- 820 (2017-198 Aug. 9, 16) Oroville School District is accepting separate sealed bids for the