Thursday, November 14, 2013
PATEROS The mayoral race remains deadlocked after county elections officials counted the final 300 ballots Wednesday.
Incumbent Gail Howe and write-in candidate Liberty Harrison still have 71 votes each after the Okanogan County Auditor’s Office updated its tally.
However, certified election administrator Mila Jury said one of the candidates may still pull ahead before general election results are certified Nov. 26.
“The Canvass Board will meet on Friday and go over ballots that have signature issues, etc. We may have a few more to count but I don’t know in what areas,” she said.
If is still tied by Nov. 26, the Canvass Board will set a date and time to recount the ballots by hand, Jury said.
“If it is still a tie, the winner will be determined by lot. We usually flip a coin.”
In two other close mayoral races in Okanogan County, Elmer City challenger Gail Morin is still one vote ahead of incumbent Mary Jo Carey, 43-42, and Brewster Mayor Lee Webster is 10 votes ahead of David Smith Jr., 104-94.
More like this story
- Community engagement is Methow fair’s theme
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Start them young
- Training exercise planned
- Delayed opener predicted for North Cascades Highway
- Games must go on
- UW students spend break working with youngsters
- Gas prices remain stable; price increases expected
- Growers meet with lawmakers
- Breakfast bill gets Steele amendments
- Drivers have until March 31 to remove studded tires