Thursday, November 14, 2013
PATEROS The Pateros High School volleyball team received a send-off today to the state tournament that featured high-fives, hugs and goofy gifts from preschool children.
To wish the girls luck and see them off on their way to Yakima, dozens of students, teachers, AmeriCorps volunteers and parents gathered outside the school this morning to cheer and wave.
The team is scheduled to practice at 2:30 p.m. at Riverside Christian. The Nannies will take on Quilcene at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Takima SunDome.
“We’re all looking forward to playing,” senior Chloe Gill said. “We’re all pretty excited, and our goal is to do better than last year. We got seventh last year, so we’re hoping to exceed that.”
“Just awfully good,” coach Gene Dowers said when asked how it felt to be going to state. “Really, really good. It’s a huge advantage to go into state as a district champion. The draw worked well for us, the seedings all worked well. It gives us a great opportunity.
“There’s a chance. I feel really great about these kids. They’re an amazing group.”
The players cheerfully accepted gifts from children with ABC Preschool and Daycare, where senior Jessi Dowers helps out, assistant coach Carlene Anders said.
“They wanted to see her off today,” Anders said. “They were pretty excited today to be able to do that. They thought it was the best.”
“I’m really happy for them. They had a really great season and this will be a really good finish to it,” English teacher Elyse Darwood said.
Bridgeport will also be competing at the state volleyball tournament. It will take on Toutle Lake at 8 a.m. Friday.
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall TuesdayMAZAMA — In experienced climber died after a fall while climbing on Goat Wall on Tuesday.
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pondWARDEN - A College Place man escaped injury Tuesday night, May 3, when his private plane crashed while en route ...
- Hazardous weather outlook issuedThe Spokane office of the National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook calling for scattered thunderstorms and heavy ...
More like this story
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall Tuesday
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pond
- Hazardous weather outlook issued
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-185 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-186 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-187 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-188 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-182 May 4) At the regular council meeting
- 810 (2016-184 May 4) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge