Wednesday, November 13, 2013
KETTLE FALLS Police are looking for a man who told a clerk at the Tribal Trails Noisy Waters gas station and convenience store Friday that a bomb was in the building and set to go off.
The Ferry County store, 34291 E. Highway 20, was evacuated Nov. 8 for several hours. No bomb was found.
After he had checked out, a customer told the clerk the bomb “won’t go off for another hour and 15 minutes,” Colville Tribal Federal Corp. Director of Small Businesses Susie Marchand said.
Marchand said the store’s staff and customers were evacuated. Customers were allowed to leave, but the staff remained nearby until the store reopened between 6:30 and 7 p.m.
The Ferry County Sheriff’s Office was notified at 3:35 p.m., dispatcher Pete Brandon said.
A Ferry County deputy was first to arrive at the scene, previously known as Barney’s Junction and situated just across the Columbia River from Kettle Falls. U.S. Highway 395 and state Highway 20, which meet near the store, were shut down for a couple hours. A couple side roads also were closed.
The store was searched and no bomb was found, Brandon said.
The Colville Tribal Police and the Washington State Patrol also responded. Stevens County put an ambulance and fire crew on standby.
Colville Tribal Police officials could not be reached for comment. The department did issue a memo seeking the public’s help in locating a man and woman of interest caught on the store’s security video.
The store employs a dozen people on three shifts, plus several others on an on-call basis, Marchand said.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge