Wednesday, November 13, 2013
KETTLE FALLS Police are looking for a man who told a clerk at the Tribal Trails Noisy Waters gas station and convenience store Friday that a bomb was in the building and set to go off.
The Ferry County store, 34291 E. Highway 20, was evacuated Nov. 8 for several hours. No bomb was found.
After he had checked out, a customer told the clerk the bomb “won’t go off for another hour and 15 minutes,” Colville Tribal Federal Corp. Director of Small Businesses Susie Marchand said.
Marchand said the store’s staff and customers were evacuated. Customers were allowed to leave, but the staff remained nearby until the store reopened between 6:30 and 7 p.m.
The Ferry County Sheriff’s Office was notified at 3:35 p.m., dispatcher Pete Brandon said.
A Ferry County deputy was first to arrive at the scene, previously known as Barney’s Junction and situated just across the Columbia River from Kettle Falls. U.S. Highway 395 and state Highway 20, which meet near the store, were shut down for a couple hours. A couple side roads also were closed.
The store was searched and no bomb was found, Brandon said.
The Colville Tribal Police and the Washington State Patrol also responded. Stevens County put an ambulance and fire crew on standby.
Colville Tribal Police officials could not be reached for comment. The department did issue a memo seeking the public’s help in locating a man and woman of interest caught on the store’s security video.
The store employs a dozen people on three shifts, plus several others on an on-call basis, Marchand said.
More like this story
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING