Sunday, November 10, 2013
NESPELEM Several Veterans Day remembrances and meals are planned tomorrow in observance of those who served in the military.
The Colville Confederated Tribes’ Veterans Day memorial ceremony and dinner will be at 10 a.m. at the tribal veterans memorial monument, 1 Colville St., on the tribal campus near Nespelem.
The event includes a presentation of the colors by a tribal color guard and other veterans, opening prayer by Soy Redthunder and laying of wreaths.
Speakers include Colville Business Council Veterans Committee Chairman Andy Joseph Jr. and other council members, and Darlene Wilder of Nespelem American Legion Auxiliary Unit 114. An open microphone session is planned.
Yvonne Moses, auxiliary chaplain, will give the closing prayer. The color guard and other veterans will retire the colors.
An honor dinner is planned afterward in the Nespelem Longhouse off state Highway 155 north of town.
A Veterans Day parade is planned at 11 a.m. on Whitcomb Avenue in Tonasket.
The procession will go from the Tonasket Visitor and Business Resource Center, 215 S. Whitcomb Ave., to the U.S. Armed Forces Legacy Project, 1 Tonasket Shop Road.
A ceremony, including a gun salute and prayers, will be at 11:30 a.m., spokesman George Frank said.
A free dinner for veterans will be at 12:30 p.m. at American Legion Post No. 82, 319 Western Ave. Others may attend by donation.
The Blue Star Mothers will participate, and at 2 p.m. will retire its banner and put up a P.O.W. banner, spokeswoman Daralyn Hollenbeck said.
Gold stars in remembrance of those killed in action and missing in action will be retired. The stars were placed on those veterans’ plaques Sept. 29 on Gold Star Mothers Day.
The Legacy building and memorial will be open until 4 p.m., with refreshments available.
In Okanogan, a Veterans Day dinner will be from 5-8 p.m. at the Okanogan Eagles Club, 1820 N. Second Ave.
Veterans eat for free; there’s a charge for guests.
The menu includes fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and a salad.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge