Wednesday, November 6, 2013
OKANOGAN The 15th annual Okanogan-Omak Rotary Club Wine and Cheese Tasting Event will be at 6 p.m. Nov. 9 in the Okanogan County Fairgrounds Agriplex, 175 Rodeo Trail Road.
Wines from more than 60 wineries will be featured, along with beer from the Methow Valley, coffee, spirits from 5 O’Clock Somewhere in Cashmere, and cider and hard cider from Cider Works near Orondo.
Those attending can vote for their favorite red and white wines and best of show winner.
Wine also will be available to purchase by the bottle or case.
A table full of cheeses, breads, fruit and heavy hors d’oeuvres, including salmon, will be offered.
Three silent auctions are planned, along with dessert and live auctions.
The record for a dessert auction is $600 for a creation by Paula Chambers.
“These desserts are elaborate and beautiful, and all are donated,” event chairwoman Debi Clark said.
Among the auction items are automotive services and supplies, Kettle Valley Railway tickets, several overnight lodging packages, smoked summer sausage and other meats, a meat smoker, paintball rental, Apple Sox baseball tickets, veterinary services, window washing, jewelry, a balloon tour, an afghan and quilts, photography services, a week-long vacation in Costa Rica, student driving tuition, a golf package, designer purse filled with cash, garden services, fruit basket, bicycle, Spokane Indians baseball tickets, a spray-on pickup bed liner and a spotting scope.
“I have three and a half pages of items, with probably 50 items per page,” Clark said. “The community has been awesome in donating.”
The event is the club’s main fundraiser. Admission will be charged, either in advance or at the door at a higher price. Reserved tables for eight are available.
It usually brings in around $30,000, which “is funneled back in to our communities,” Clark said. “The generosity of this community is totally awesome.”
Any type of attire is OK, although Clark said many people dress up.
Free taxi rides home will be offered to folks who sample a little too much, she said.
Rotarians also will sell balloons for its anti-polio effort.
Last year the group sent more than $2,000 to Rotary International’s polio program.
More like this story
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-185 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-186 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-187 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-188 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-182 May 4) At the regular council meeting
- 810 (2016-184 May 4) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-181 May 4, 11, 18) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-156 May 4, 11) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-183 May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8) Superior Court of Washington
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge