Originally published November 5, 2013 at 12:18p.m., updated November 5, 2013 at 12:20p.m.
REPUBLIC Area residents will have an opportunity to catch a glimpse of this year’s U.S. Capitol Christmas tree as its tour through North-Central Washington resumes Wednesday with a two-hour ceremony.
The public ceremony will start at 10:30 a.m. on the campus of the Republic School District, 30306 E. Highway 20.
“We’d like everybody to attend,” spokesman Franklin Pemberton said Tuesday.
At the conclusion of that event and weather permitting, the Christmas tree will be escorted by Ferry and Okanogan County law enforcement agencies west along state Highway 20 and south along U.S. Highway 97, passing through Wauconda, Tonasket, Omak, Okanogan, Brewster and Pateros en route to Wenatchee.
The theme of this year’s Capitol Christmas Tree Tour is “Sharing Washington’s Good Nature,” a tribute to the 88-foot Engelmann spruce tree’s selection in the Newport Ranger District of Colville National Forest.
Another ceremony is planned for 4-6 p.m. at Pybus Market, 3 N. Worthen St., in downtown Wenatchee.
After Wenatchee, the tour will pass through Yakima, Everett, Olympia, Vancouver and Kennewick, before heading east. The tour will conclude Nov. 25 in Washington, D.C., where it will be decorated with thousands of lights and hand-crafted ornaments made by residents of our state.
The tree will be lit by Speaker of the House John Boehner and a student from Washington state next month. The Christmas tree will be lit from dusk to 11 p.m. through Christmas.
The tree was cut down Nov. 1 in Pend Oreille County. For the last three days, it was wrapped and prepared for the 25-city tour and trip to Washington, D.C.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge