Tuesday, November 5, 2013
OROVILLE Initial ballot returns put Mayor C.F. “Chuck” Spieth in the lead in his bid for re-election against challenger Chris Allen.
“At this point, it looks like the voters are pleased with the way the city is going and we’ll work to stay on track,” Spieth said. “It sounds to me like we must be doing something right.”
Spieth, who began his tenure as the city’s mayor in 2002, has received 159 votes, compared to 89 for Allen.
Allen conceded victory to Spieth.
“My opponent won,” Allen said. “I wish him the best of luck and hopefully things will work out for him.”
Incumbents lead races for two City Council positions, as well.
Councilman Jon R. Neal leads challenger Russell W. Rounds in the Position No. 1 race. Neal has received 184 votes compared to 66 for Rounds.
“It sounds good to me,” Neal said after hearing preliminary results. “It makes you happy that it seems people feel things are going the right way…
“You don’t really know what the public opinion is until you have an election.”
Councilman Anthony “Tony” Koepke leads challenger Paul E. Bouchard in the Position No. 2 race. Koepke has received 150 votes, compared to 92 for Bouchard.
“That sounds mighty fine to me,” Koepke said. “I’m just glad the voters have given me four more years.”
Rounds and Bouchard could not be reached for comment.
Okanogan County elections officials counted 6,068 ballots – all had arrived prior to Nov. 2 – on Tuesday night. A total of 21,318 ballots had been mailed to registered voters in the county.
Seven-and-a-half additional trays of ballots arrived Monday and Tuesday. Election officials will begin processing them Wednesday, along with other late-arriving ballots. Late-arriving ballots will be counted Friday.
County canvassing boards certify local results Nov. 26.
In a normal off-year general election, the county has about a 53 percent voter turn-out.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE