Originally published November 5, 2013 at 10:08p.m., updated November 5, 2013 at 11:29p.m.
REPUBLIC Challenger Brian Dansel leads Sen. John Smith in the 7th Legislative District senate race, preliminary election returns tallied Tuesday night show.
“The first thing I have to do is thank all of my supporters,” Dansel said.
Smith, 40, could not be reached for comment.
Dansel, 30, said the election results “look good,” but he wanted to hold off on claiming victory until results are finalized.
He received 12,362 votes, compared to 10,617 for Smith.
Dansel said the preliminary response from the voters shows that “people are ready for something new. They resonate with a working-class guy, somebody that’s never really been a politician.”
Both candidates are Republicans.
Dansel had large leads in both candidates’ home counties. In Ferry County, where Dansel is a county commissioner, he has garnered 73 percent of the votes cast (1,476), compared to Smith’s 27 percent (546).
He also leads Smith’s home county, getting 57.6 percent of the votes in Stevens County (4,183), compared to Colville resident Smith’s 42.3 percent (3,070).
Smith has slight leads in Okanogan, Spokane and Pend Oreille counties.
In Okanogan County, Smith has 1,387 votes, versus Dansel’s 1,250. Smith leads Spokane County by 111 votes and Pend Oreille County by 50 votes
Dansel was elected Ferry County commissioner in 2010.
Smith was appointed to the state senate in January when Sen. Bob Morton retired.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE