Sunday, November 3, 2013
OMAK Okanogan County residents may get their first taste of winter this weekend.
A winter storm watch for the Methow Valley and other parts of north Okanogan and Ferry counties was issued Friday by the National Weather Service, effective through today, Sunday.
The notice called for 5-9 inches of heavy snow above 4,000 feet, and as much as 14 inches above 5,000 feet.
A hazardous weather outlook is predicting a “vigorous storm system” through Thursday with rain, wind and a chance of snow nearly every day.
As of Friday, the chance of precipitation each day was around 20-30 percent, with temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s.
Reactions on the Chronicle’s Facebook page included disbelief, annoyance and excitement.
“Can it please wait another week?” Omak resident Crystal Hammer Newport said.
Riverside resident Bill Bond asked if this means he might actually get a chance to use his new all-terrain vehicle with a snowplow.
Local retailers are already helping residents get winter-ready.
Les Schwab, 712 Okoma Drive, was busy Friday putting studded tires on customers’ vehicles.
Studded tires became legal Nov. 1.
“We’re in full swing right now,” Assistant Manager Robert Engelen said.
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall TuesdayMAZAMA — In experienced climber died after a fall while climbing on Goat Wall on Tuesday.
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pondWARDEN - A College Place man escaped injury Tuesday night, May 3, when his private plane crashed while en route ...
- Hazardous weather outlook issuedThe Spokane office of the National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook calling for scattered thunderstorms and heavy ...
More like this story
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall Tuesday
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pond
- Hazardous weather outlook issued
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-185 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-186 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-187 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-188 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-182 May 4) At the regular council meeting
- 810 (2016-184 May 4) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge