Friday, November 1, 2013
REPUBLIC The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Ferry County and portions of the North Cascades.
Meanwhile, a hazardous weather alert continues for the Okanogan Valley and Grand Coulee areas.
"The first heavy snow of the season is expected this weekend in the mountains for elevations above 4,000 feet," the National Weather Service reported Friday. "And snow levels will continue to fall Saturday night into Sunday, bottoming out around 3,000 feet."
The winter storm watch is in effect from 10 p.m. today until 4 p.m. Sunday.
According to meteorologists, the "heaviest accumulations" will affect driving conditions in Sherman Pass as well as routes through the North Cascades.
Meteorologists are also predicting snowfall along Chesaw Road, Boulder Creek Road and in the Wauconda area.
Mountain snow accumulation is expected to be 5-9 inches, with areas above 5,000 feet seeing localized totals of 14 inches. Winds gusting from 35-45 mph Saturday night could create some near white-out conditions, meteorlogists said.
"Heavy snow accumulations on mountain roads will make travel difficult and hazardous Saturday and Saturday night," the Weather Service reported.
Lower elevations may be spared previously predicted snowfall.
"A vigorous storm system will bring wet and windy weather" to the Okanogan Valley and the Columbia Basin over the weekend, the Weather Service reported.
Rain and wind are expected to roll into the Okanogan Valley and Grand Coulee by tomorrow.
More like this story
- Signups start for Okanogan rooter's bus
- School to honor state soccer champs
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- Fire damages building supply
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL