Friday, November 1, 2013
REPUBLIC The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Ferry County and portions of the North Cascades.
Meanwhile, a hazardous weather alert continues for the Okanogan Valley and Grand Coulee areas.
"The first heavy snow of the season is expected this weekend in the mountains for elevations above 4,000 feet," the National Weather Service reported Friday. "And snow levels will continue to fall Saturday night into Sunday, bottoming out around 3,000 feet."
The winter storm watch is in effect from 10 p.m. today until 4 p.m. Sunday.
According to meteorologists, the "heaviest accumulations" will affect driving conditions in Sherman Pass as well as routes through the North Cascades.
Meteorologists are also predicting snowfall along Chesaw Road, Boulder Creek Road and in the Wauconda area.
Mountain snow accumulation is expected to be 5-9 inches, with areas above 5,000 feet seeing localized totals of 14 inches. Winds gusting from 35-45 mph Saturday night could create some near white-out conditions, meteorlogists said.
"Heavy snow accumulations on mountain roads will make travel difficult and hazardous Saturday and Saturday night," the Weather Service reported.
Lower elevations may be spared previously predicted snowfall.
"A vigorous storm system will bring wet and windy weather" to the Okanogan Valley and the Columbia Basin over the weekend, the Weather Service reported.
Rain and wind are expected to roll into the Okanogan Valley and Grand Coulee by tomorrow.
More like this story
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge