Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Years ago, as I was nearing my own high school graduation, a friend of my mother’s sent me one of those tiny gift books filled with sentimental quotes.
You know the type: They have clouds or soft-focus trees on the cover, italic printing and pastel colors.
The card that accompanied the book made a longer-lasting impression than the book itself.
Along with the pre-printed message offering hope for the future, the friend had written a message and called graduation “a bittersweet time.”
I didn’t grasp the meaning immediately, but in the intervening years I always think about that word — bittersweet.
One of the word’s definitions is something “producing or expressing a mixture of pain and pleasure.”
Many students find a special bond with their classmates in the final days leading to graduation. They’re united, the class is “together” and finally works as a single unit.
Then they realize that in a few short days or hours, they’ll scatter to the four winds. They’ll never have quite the same relationship with their classmates.
Some will stay in town and see each other frequently. Others will move away to college, the military or work.
Time will pass and they’ll grow apart.
I wish the best to our graduating seniors and hope you will find happiness and peace in the life that will come after your own bittersweet moment.
Dee Camp is a reporter at The Chronicle. She can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstatedTonasket High School basketball coach Kevin Landdeck has been reinstated through the end of the season.
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan CountyOKANOGAN - Health officials have confirmed one adult case of the Mumps in Okanogan County, according to a release from ...
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE