Wednesday, May 29, 2013
YAKIMA Shaylyn Goodall of Omak finished third and Megan Beyers of Tonasket fifth in girls 1A singles at the state 1B/2B/1A tournament May 24-25 at the Yakima Tennis Center.
Michele Liu of Forest Ridge topped Goodall, 6-1 and 6-2, in the semifinals.
Liu won her third straight 1A crown while only giving up games to Goodall. No one else got a game off Liu (she beat everyone else 6-0, 6-0), who beat Goodall in the finals last year.
Goodall rebounded from the loss to beat Samantha Weeks of Annie Wright, 6-4 and 6-1, in the match for third- and sixth-place.
“The last two years Shaylyn’s only lost two matches and it’s been the same girl, Michele Liu,” Omak coach Lance O’Dell said. “Shaylyn is 43-2 over the last two years. That’s really good.”
Goodall has won two district championships and placed in the Top 8 the last three years at state (third this year, second last year and eighth as a sophomore).
A senior, Goodall plans to attend Spokane Community College this fall.
Beyers fell to Weeks in the opening round, 6-2 and 6-1.
She then had a long road to get to a medal, starting with an 8-3 win over Jamie Skeie of Castle Rock and 8-5 over Darby Pierce of St. George’s.
Beyers, a senior, then beat Cashmere’s Molly Kenoyer, 6-1 and 6-0, in the match for fifth- and eighth-place.
Cashmere won the girls 1A team championship.
Megan Robinson of Chelan, who has ties to the Omak area, finished fourth at state,
She beat Tracy Melville of Lind-Ritzville-Sprague, 6-0 and 6-2, in the match for fourth- and seventh-place.
In girls doubles, Okanogan’s Zoe Cheeseman and Luisa Cardenas fell to a Chewelah duo, 6-4 and 7-5, eliminated a Kiona-Benton team, 8-4, and fell out of state falling to a Montesano team, 8-2.
Omak’s Morgan O’Dell, a junior, and Gabe Holz, a freshman, dropped out of play in two matches.
“They played well and they got experience they can use next year,” coach O’Dell said.
In boys singles, Manuel Perez of Liberty Bell beat Mark Hay of St. George’s, 6-3 and 6-2 before falling to the consolation bracket with a lost to Austin Kelley of Charles Wright, 6-4 and 6-2.
Perez topped Jose Godoy of Zillah, 6-2 and 7-5, before placing seventh by falling to Brendan Stewart of LaSalle (fourth), 0-6, 7-5 and 6-1.
Carlos Perez of Liberty Bell fell to Brendan Stewart, 6-2 and 6-3, in the opening round. Michael Hamilton of St. George’s eliminated Perez, 8-6.
Omak’s Greg Sklar, a senior, lost both of his singles matches.
“His goal this season was to get to state,” O’Dell said. “He worked hard for four years. His goal was to get there and he got there.”
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge