Wednesday, May 29, 2013
YAKIMA Shaylyn Goodall of Omak finished third and Megan Beyers of Tonasket fifth in girls 1A singles at the state 1B/2B/1A tournament May 24-25 at the Yakima Tennis Center.
Michele Liu of Forest Ridge topped Goodall, 6-1 and 6-2, in the semifinals.
Liu won her third straight 1A crown while only giving up games to Goodall. No one else got a game off Liu (she beat everyone else 6-0, 6-0), who beat Goodall in the finals last year.
Goodall rebounded from the loss to beat Samantha Weeks of Annie Wright, 6-4 and 6-1, in the match for third- and sixth-place.
“The last two years Shaylyn’s only lost two matches and it’s been the same girl, Michele Liu,” Omak coach Lance O’Dell said. “Shaylyn is 43-2 over the last two years. That’s really good.”
Goodall has won two district championships and placed in the Top 8 the last three years at state (third this year, second last year and eighth as a sophomore).
A senior, Goodall plans to attend Spokane Community College this fall.
Beyers fell to Weeks in the opening round, 6-2 and 6-1.
She then had a long road to get to a medal, starting with an 8-3 win over Jamie Skeie of Castle Rock and 8-5 over Darby Pierce of St. George’s.
Beyers, a senior, then beat Cashmere’s Molly Kenoyer, 6-1 and 6-0, in the match for fifth- and eighth-place.
Cashmere won the girls 1A team championship.
Megan Robinson of Chelan, who has ties to the Omak area, finished fourth at state,
She beat Tracy Melville of Lind-Ritzville-Sprague, 6-0 and 6-2, in the match for fourth- and seventh-place.
In girls doubles, Okanogan’s Zoe Cheeseman and Luisa Cardenas fell to a Chewelah duo, 6-4 and 7-5, eliminated a Kiona-Benton team, 8-4, and fell out of state falling to a Montesano team, 8-2.
Omak’s Morgan O’Dell, a junior, and Gabe Holz, a freshman, dropped out of play in two matches.
“They played well and they got experience they can use next year,” coach O’Dell said.
In boys singles, Manuel Perez of Liberty Bell beat Mark Hay of St. George’s, 6-3 and 6-2 before falling to the consolation bracket with a lost to Austin Kelley of Charles Wright, 6-4 and 6-2.
Perez topped Jose Godoy of Zillah, 6-2 and 7-5, before placing seventh by falling to Brendan Stewart of LaSalle (fourth), 0-6, 7-5 and 6-1.
Carlos Perez of Liberty Bell fell to Brendan Stewart, 6-2 and 6-3, in the opening round. Michael Hamilton of St. George’s eliminated Perez, 8-6.
Omak’s Greg Sklar, a senior, lost both of his singles matches.
“His goal this season was to get to state,” O’Dell said. “He worked hard for four years. His goal was to get there and he got there.”
More like this story
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
- 820 (2016-330 July 27, Aug. 3, 10) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
- 820 (2016-331 July 27, Aug. 3) INVITATION FOR RE-BIDS
- 820 (2016-332 July 27, Aug. 3) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- 820 (2016-313 July 13, 20, 27, Aug. 3) IRS JUDICIAL AUCTION SALE
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge