Wednesday, May 29, 2013
CHENEY The region’s high school athletes brought home lots of medals, including gold, while setting several state or school records at the state 1B/2B/1A track meet May 24-25 at Eastern Washington University.
Okanogan’s Kara Staggs, a senior, won the 1A javelin with her final throw with a personal best of 134 feet, 6 inches.
“I was trying to break the state record” of 142-10, Staggs said.
She entered the final throw at state with a slim lead.
“I just hoped no one would beat the throw,” she said. “I had nothing to lose” on the final throw.
The distance broke the previous school record of 130-8 set by Jameka Townsend.
“We felt really confident going in,” Okanogan coach Zach Spaet said. “Her technique was really improving the last three weeks. The other competitors would have to be as ferocious as Kara to beat her. She’s a winner.”
Oroville’s Sierra Speiker, a junior, won the 3,200 in 11 minutes, 31.74 seconds. She was fifth in the 1,600 (5:27.00).
Speiker planned to take a week off from training and then starting working toward next year’s goals, which include breaking the 18-minute mark in 5K cross country races this fall.
Several colleges have contacted her, including the University of South Carolina, to which she will make an official visit when she’s a senior.
There will be some great girls to watch next year from Pateros. The Nannies’ 4x100 relay finished second (53.45) with no seniors. The team included Grace Williams, Jessi Dowers, Brandy Woodward and Ashton Steggall.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge