Wednesday, May 29, 2013
CHENEY The region’s high school athletes brought home lots of medals, including gold, while setting several state or school records at the state 1B/2B/1A track meet May 24-25 at Eastern Washington University.
Okanogan’s Kara Staggs, a senior, won the 1A javelin with her final throw with a personal best of 134 feet, 6 inches.
“I was trying to break the state record” of 142-10, Staggs said.
She entered the final throw at state with a slim lead.
“I just hoped no one would beat the throw,” she said. “I had nothing to lose” on the final throw.
The distance broke the previous school record of 130-8 set by Jameka Townsend.
“We felt really confident going in,” Okanogan coach Zach Spaet said. “Her technique was really improving the last three weeks. The other competitors would have to be as ferocious as Kara to beat her. She’s a winner.”
Oroville’s Sierra Speiker, a junior, won the 3,200 in 11 minutes, 31.74 seconds. She was fifth in the 1,600 (5:27.00).
Speiker planned to take a week off from training and then starting working toward next year’s goals, which include breaking the 18-minute mark in 5K cross country races this fall.
Several colleges have contacted her, including the University of South Carolina, to which she will make an official visit when she’s a senior.
There will be some great girls to watch next year from Pateros. The Nannies’ 4x100 relay finished second (53.45) with no seniors. The team included Grace Williams, Jessi Dowers, Brandy Woodward and Ashton Steggall.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge