Wednesday, May 29, 2013
BRIDGEPORT This year’s Bridgeport Daze will feature a wide variety of things to see and do, from a parade to live music, arts and crafts, and a basketball tournament.
“It’s going to be a really fun time,” Mayor Marilynn Lynn said of the 41st annual celebration.
A new event, the 3-on-3 basketball tournament, will be near the vendors in Fireman Park, located on the corner of 10th Street and Columbia Avenue. Games will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but dribbling will stop during the parade at 10 a.m.
The Market Square will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“We’ve gotten a great response to our Market Square,” Lynn said. “There’s a good mix of food, arts and crafts, informational and educational booths.”
As of May 23, 16 vendors were registered. Some of the informational booths include the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which will tell people about local recreation, and Family Health Centers, which will provide free medical and dental screenings.
While vendors with a variety of foods and locally made arts and crafts were encouraged to set up booths, Lynn said there are otherwise no restrictions on what will be sold.
Lineup for the main event, the parade, will be at 9:30 a.m. There were 18 entrants as of May 23.
“There are lots of interesting parade entries,” Lynn said. “Eighteen entries for this time is a pretty good number; they tend to all come in at the last minute.
“Whoever lines up will have a place in the parade.”
The Bridgeport Eagles will host a dinner and a live band the same evening at 1030 Columbia Blvd.
Dinner will be from 5-7:30 p.m., and the music will play on from 8 p.m. to midnight, organizer Dianne Sleeper said.
There will be a cover charge to see the band, but those who buy dinner won’t have to pay the charge, she said.
The Eagles will also have a bake sale in front of their building during the parade.
All the proceeds go to the annual community Easter egg hunt, “because our fund is zilch,” Sleeper said.
Funds raised from the bake sale will help purchase prizes, such as Easter egg baskets.
More like this story
- 810 (2016-353 Aug. 31) The Omak fire Department
- 820 (2016-354 Aug. 31) NOTICE OF APPLICATION AND ISSUANCE OF A DNS UNDER SEPA
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS BID No. 418-16
- 820 (2016-350 Aug. 31, Sept. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-351 Aug. 31, Sept. 7) REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
- 820 (2016-352 Aug. 31, Sept. 7) Request for Proposal (RFP) and Scope of Work (SOW) Environmental
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge